BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Mediapress YouTube post type and remote url custom field

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    studioleland on #13584

Hey support,

We badly need this remote media integration for our project asap. I’m looking for any workable solution to add remote video media (YouTube, Vimeo) as albums for users. Could I accomplish this via custom media types and remote url input box on file upload/add screen?

1. Add remote media type
    2. Add url embed field to media add
    3. Output into lightbox view template

I know I can add oembed urls to activity feed but I can’t organize them into galleries that way.

Happy to sponsor some work to get this done quickly if necessary.

Any direction would be great!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #13602

Hi,
    Thank you for opening the topic.

I will go with the attachment post type and change the meaning of attachment for the remote media.

Though going with a custom post type is also a feasible solution.

Thank you for considering a part of it. Sponsoring a part of it can definitely help us prioritize it. What is your timeline for the project? If I can get the idea, I will have more details.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Sam McClellan on #13618

I am willing to help sponsor remote media integration as well, specifically soundcloud.

• Participant
    studioleland on #13627

We need this asap. We are previsioning a new web app and this is a key feature. We are motivated and will be happy to help test any development over next couple weeks. We could really use this in the next 2-3 weeks if possible. From the interest I see around the web this will be a very popular feature if you make it a paid addon. I see it as a big seller since RTmedia is ignoring it. I chose MediaPress specifically because I appreciate your dedication to producing great modular Buddypress addons.

• Participant
    studioleland on #13669

Hello, is there any response for this? We really need this feature happening in the next couple weeks. Or, could you point me in the direction to accomplish it with a new media type? Thank you!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #13675

Hi Leland, Sam,

Thank you.

@studioleland

Thank you for posting it here. I most probably replied in another thread.

This is a very important feature for us and it needs proper planning. Implementation is not difficult but once we choose a strategy, we will have to abide by that. In other words, We will need a lot of time to plan it before making it into core.

The time needed for it does not align with our current goals, We can’t afford to put that much free time on MediaPress yet.

I do plan to work on it in April-July Quarter(after 15th April) and to get this and a few more essential updates to MediaPress.

Now, if you want to do it yourself, here is a strategy:-

1. Use the WordPress attachment post type(You will get most features out of the box)
    2. Use the remote url in met and put an extra key to identify it is oembed url
    3. Add a view to generate the html from oembed.

Except that, I will suggest adding a new type(Links) for this kind of content to allow your create easy UI for adding media. If you do not want to add a separate category, You will need to attach the UI for adding remote media for each type.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    studioleland on #13906

Really looking forward to this work. Please keep me updated as this is a big deliverable for my current project. Offer stands to assist with funding this work if you’re willing to work on this feature sooner. We are really depending on this easy of gallery creation for our project. We are expecting thousands of users and remote youtube galleries are essential for storage saving.

• Participant
    Sam McClellan on #13910

Yes, soon!!!

• Participant
    Sam McClellan on #14798

Not wanting to bug but any update on this?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #14799

Hi Sam,
    It is coming very soon. I have started working on it. This and media in comment both are our immediate target.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved