BuddyDev

Search

Mulsite | Child Site Privacy

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Mwiinga on #7372

Hello,
    Apologies if I’m not in the rightful place.

I need help.
    I’m running a WordPress multisite.
    I would like to have one of my child sites to be completely private. Access to this child site should only be by ROLE. ONLY a specified ROLE, ‘administrator,’ ‘contributor,’ ‘editor,’ ‘student,’ and all should be able to access any part of this Child Site at any given time.

I know very little about code, but I tried something like “if ( is_user_logged_in() && ! current_user_can( ‘administrator’ . ‘staff’ . ‘editot’ ) ),” but I ended up breaking my site, so I reverted it all back.
    Your help is highly appreciated.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #7382

Hi there,
    Thank you for posting.

before I post the code, i want to clarify one thing, except the “Network administrator(SuperAdmin)” all other roles are specific to the site. So a user who is Editor on site 1 may not have the same role on site 2.

For the code part.

/**
     * Redirect users to main site home page if they are logged in and don't have the required role on the sub site
     */
    function buddydev_check_redirect_roles_on_subsite() {

if ( is_main_site() || ! is_user_logged_in() ) {
    		return ;//no need to do anything on the main site or if the user is not logged in?
    	}

//this is incorrect way to do things, instead of role, please use the
    	$roles = wp_get_current_user()->roles;

$allowed_roles = array( 'administrator', 'editor' );

$found = array_intersect( $allowed_roles, $roles );

if ( empty( $found ) ) {
    		wp_redirect( network_home_url('/') );
    		exit( 0 );
    	}

}

add_action( 'template_redirect', 'buddydev_check_redirect_roles_on_subsite', 0 );

You can put it in your functions.php or if using BuddyPress, you can put it in your bp-custom.php

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Mwiinga on #7386

Oh wow!
    You’re awesome. Thank you. Thank you so much.
    Your code has worked just like that..
    thank you so much..

On my multisite, I have a ‘Forums,’ ‘Online Store,’ and a ‘School.’
    The idea is to have all users to access the ‘Forums’ with one email & pass, without issues.
    but, the ‘school’ should not be accessed by ‘Online Store – Customer’ users, and vice versa. hence my request for the awesome code you just provided.

I love the ‘redirect’ part of the above code. Now, just thinking outside the box, is it possible to ‘redirect’ users based on there role?….for example, when a ‘customer’ visits an online school, is it possible to redirect them back to the shop?…and when a ‘student’ visits a ‘wrong child site,’ is it possible to redirect them back to there ‘school site?’

I’m just tryna think outside the box. If it’s not possible, I totally understand.
    Really Appreciate your time.
    Thank you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved