BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Page header images issues in CB

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Janet B on #35416

I have a series of page headers that are 1350px wide by 350px tall. They are clear and bright.

I do not want the same header on each page, but found that if I upload the image as the featured image, it acts as the header.

However, seems to be taking a thumbnail instead of the full image and is also doing something to darken it. The zooming in is independent of header height; aligning to 350px high, for instance, does not help.

It is also placing a dark, transparent overlay on top of the image.

Removing the “mask” in page header styling removes the shading at the bottom, which was not objectionable, but does not remove the overlay.

Please advise.

Janet

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Janet B.
  • Participant
    Janet B on #35418

I also note that it does not appear to be possible to re-add an rgb mask to Styling|Page Header.

• Participant
    Janet B on #35419

BTW – the header, as rendered on the site, is 1350×350, so I expected the full image would fit nicely. It looks as if one of the smaller standard WP image size is being selected and then zoomed and cropped to fit 1350×350.

Also, I can see that even having removed the page header mask, it is present on all group pages, along with the darkening overlay. There do not appear to be any Theme Settings that govern this behavior.

The header images for the groups are sized correctly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Janet B.
  • Participant
    Janet B on #35421

I have worked around the issue with some css but suggest these options be added to the Theme Styling options.

.page-header-mask { display: none ! important;}

You can also use visibility:hidden if you prefer.

This completely suppresses the mask – across groups and elsewhere. You can qualify it further if desired based on the enclosing container.

Just for fun I tried replacing the mask with a different one with css. I often change labels, links and other code elements this way without touching the code. But it didn’t work for this purpose.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #35422

Hi Janet,
    Thank you for the feedback.

I had a look and i see that we should have given the option to use transparency or just disable the mask.

Thank you for sharing the snippet. It will help others.

I am adding it to our future enhancements list and will be part of one of our next release.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Janet B on #35432

Thanks – Do you have any more info about what is happening to the featured image, when used as a page header? The zooming/cropping really ruins the headers.

The reason I am trying to do this is that I can use the activity stream shortcode to limit what is display to things that are relevant me – just the group at and hand and only status updates.

I can’t do this with group activity otherwise.

But when I make a new page that can house your activity stream shortcode, which does exactly what I want, the CB theme is breaking the image.

Please advise.

Janet

• Participant
    Janet B on #35442

Can you please provide more info on this feature image/header issue?

Janet

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #35444

Hi Janet,
    I am sorry, I was not sure of the question.

Here is how the page header works:-

1. If you upload a page header image(there is a meta box at the bottom of the post, if it is not, Please enable the metabox).
    If you do not upload and you have set the “Use Post thumbnail as header image” in the blog customize section, then it will check and use the featured image as header.

The size for the post thumbnail is set to( 2000×1125). If it is not picking this image, Please regenerate the post thumbnail.

The best way is to upload a separate page header image for each post.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Janet B on #35461

The terms blog and post make me suspect that we’re talking past each other here.
    I’m trying to display BuddyPress group activity without using the pre-defined page. That page shows all sorts of irrelevant activity and all I want to see are status updates and comments. I also don’t need most of the widgets in the nav bar and couldn’t suppress them individually or as a group.

So I was using a separate page for each pre-defined group(there are only eight) and then using your Activity Stream shortcode to display the activity I was looking for.

It’s all working fine except for the the sizing of header image. The image used for each of this eight pages comes from the featured image. I regenerated thumbnails before reaching out 😉

What is happening is that the page thumbnail is too small. This means that we effectively get a L/R crop of the image. Then the theme, trying to be helpful with an image this is not correct zooms in until it is wide enough and performs a T/B crop.

We either need to be able to load a header image for the page that fits

OR

be able to suppress the BP activity that we don’t want to see for groups. I know I can try to filter that stuff out in my functions.php, but I didn’t want to to in that deep and don’t know all the needed hooks and filters.

Janet

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #35463

Hi Janet,
    Thank you for the details.
    Let me assist you with option 2 tomorrow. It is very easy to filter the activity by types.

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Page header images issues in CB’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved