BuddyDev

Search

Post excerpt

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Scooter on #52455

Is there a way to auto generate the post excerpt rather than having to type one out manually, e.g. by automatically selecting the first 30 words of the post content?

• Participant
    Scooter on #52456

This is regarding BuddyBlog Pro.

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #52462

Hello Scooter,

Thank you for posting. If you are familiar with PHP you can use the function name “wp_trim_excerpt” to generate. If you want me to assist you with the code let me know.

Regards
    Ravi

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Ravi.
  • Participant
    Scooter on #52473

Thanks Ravi. I would appreciate some help please, as I’m not sure where to make the changes.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #52478

Hello Scooter,

Thank you for the acknowledgement. Do you have already post excerpt with the posts? If yes please delete and WordPress will auto-generate it for you. By default, WordPress shows 55 words in a post excerpt but with the following code you can control the excerpt words length.

add_filter( 'excerpt_length', function () {
    	return 30;
    } );

You can place this code in “bp-custom.php” file or your active theme “functions.php” file.

You can refer the URL: https://buddydev.com/docs/buddypress-guides/what-is-bp-custom-php/

Please give it a try.

Regards
    Ravi

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Ravi.
  • Participant
    Scooter on #52480

Thanks Ravi. I deleted “post excerpt” from my form and it now auto generates. I also tried creating the bp-custom.php and put this file in wp-content/plugins and changed the length to 100, however it didn’t work. Have I put the file in the correct place? Under plugins there is the buddyblog-pro folder. Should it not be in there?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #52483

Hello Scooter,

Thank you for the acknowledgement. You can place the file “bp-custom.php” under “wp-content/plugins”. Make sure you have started the file with

<?php

Note: Ensure there is no space or a new line before “<?php” tag.

if still not working put the code in the active theme “functions.php” file and then check it.

Regards
    Ravi

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved