BuddyDev

Search

Rename BuddyPress Profile Menu items

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    lavish on #4700

Hi!

I have been trying to find a way to change the names / text of at least 2 BuddyPress member profile menu items. Can someone here help me please?

I want to change ‘Friends’ to ‘Connections’ and ‘Groups’ to ‘Clubs’.

Many thanks

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #4702

Hi Lavis,
    You can do that easily using any translation tool. I will recommend using Poedit and translating the string.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    lavish on #4707

Hello Brajesh,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have always used translations files. unfortunately it’s just now that it is not working.

May be because I have po / mo files from BP 2.1 and it is now BP 2.6. So may be I need to use new po file and do that long hectic work all over again (I have too many translations). Isn’t there a way to copy my existing translations from old to new file?

Thank you again

• Participant
    lavish on #4709

I tried with the latest pot file from BP 2.6 (latest) and translated all occurrences of ‘Friends’ and ‘Groups’ but it is still not working. My buddypress-en_US.mo had been saved in wp-content/languages/ and had always worked.

In fact all other translations other than profile nav items are still working with my old mo file (from BP 2.1).

I also tried changing the language in WordPress settings, still no avail.

• Participant
    lavish on #4744

Following code worked for me

‘function bpcodex_rename_profile_tabs() {

buddypress()->members->nav->edit_nav( array( ‘name’ => __( ‘Connections’, ‘textdomain’ ) ), ‘connections’ );
    buddypress()->members->nav->edit_nav( array( ‘name’ => __( ‘Clubs’, ‘textdomain’ ) ), ‘clubs’ );

}
    add_action( ‘bp_actions’, ‘bpcodex_rename_profile_tabs’ );’

reference – https://codex.buddypress.org/developer/navigation-api/ & https://buddypress.org/support/topic/rename-buddypress-profile-nav-items/

Thank you!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #4753

Hi Lavis,
    That is another approach for navigation but using po/mo is still preferred way. If it is not working, Please create a bug report on BuddyPress trac.

• Participant
    lavish on #4759

Hello @sbrajesh

Is there a way to change the sub slugs too? What I mean is, for example club settings (manage >> settings) has a URL –

mysite-com/clubs/club-name/admin/group-settings/

I expect this to become

mysite-com/clubs/club-name/admin/club-settings/

Thank you

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by lavish.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved