BuddyDev

Search

Suggestion for a new BP Registration plugin

• Participant
    Level: Yogi
    calu on #18022

Hi there, this is a returning topic for many; why are there two names to fill in for users of WP and BP?

I know the technical necessity to why it is, but it would be nice to be able to gather the WP Username and the BP Profile name into one.

Because the users don’t care about technical necessities, they do not understand, why they should fill out a name twice.

So my suggestion for a plugin, would be a step by step BP Registration plugin, with only one name to fill in, the BP profile name.

This would really improve the registration user experience, which is terrible as it is.

Regards
    Carsten

• Participant
    calu on #18038

The unlogic thing about the registration/login process, from a users point of view, is that you do not use your BP profile name for login, which you would expect, but your WP Username. On the other hand, it’s your BP Profile name which appears on your profile…

These two names could in principle be the same, so there must be a way of feeding the information from the BP Profile name field to the WP account registration

• Participant
    calu on #18047

I have done some research, and apparently it is not possible to combine WP Username and BP Profile name in one workflow, even though you would expect an auto fill of the BP profile name with the WP Username was an option.

Another issue in the WP account registration is the lack of support of special characters in usernames like, æøå. Users expect to enter their real name here, so if your name is ‘Søren’ you can’t register! And why does WP not support capital letters, when all names starts with a capital letter…
    Fixing this with code involves a compromise safety I am told.

The second best option is then to place the two name registrations next to each other, and make users repeat their Username (not knowing it is actual the BP Profile name they are filling out, or vise versa) The benefit is that users can accept choosing a profile name which is not with capital letters and containing æøå, rather than spelling their names wrong, e.g. ‘Søren’ has to be ‘soren’

As it is, the Username is on top of the registration page and the Profilename sits in the bottom.

How do I put BP name on top of the WP Account details?

Regards
    Carsten

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved