BuddyDev

Search

Updating to newest Buddypress Version

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Daniel on #16302

Hi,

We want to update from BuddyPress 2.9.4 to the newest BuddyPress Version 3.1 and I wanted to ask if we just can update the plugin or do we need first to deactivate all BuddyPress plugins first before updating BuddyPres?

We just want to prevent a crash of our website while upgrading to Buddypress Version 3.1.

Many thanks for your information.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16313

Hi Daniel,
    I will suggest taking a backup of the database and /wp-content/plugins directory before upgrading. That will allow you to restore.

I will also suggest using a plugin like this
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-staging/

and create a staging site, test the updates there and when everything works properly, You may upgrade the actual site.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #16330

Yo Hi Brajesh,

Thanks for the info. I have installed the staging plugin which looks like to be a good tool.

Just to be sure, do you think it is ok to just update to BuddyPress update 3.1 or do you suggest to deactivate all the BuddyPress plugin first before making the upgrade (from V 2.9.4 to V 3.1.0?

I am asking because once I think I updated to a new BuddyPress Version, then the site received fatal error crash.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
    Daniel

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Daniel.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16336

Hi Daniel,

I don’t see any issue in upgrading without disabling plugins. To be honest, There can be a fatal error caused during update by a unruly theme/plugin that calls BddydPress functionality(without BuddyPress provided hook or checking for the BuddyPress availability).

Try upgrading the staging environment first and see if it throws fatal. If it does, you can login to your original site and delete the staging environment and deactivate the plugin/theme causing fatal before upgrading.

After upgrading, if you keep the BP Legacy template pack, you won’t have any issue. If you switch to BP Nouveau template pack, you will see issues.

PS:- Thank you for the note and the donation. I was pleasantly surprised 🙂

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #16343

Hi Brajesh,

OK, thanks for the information. I will then wait a bit to update to BP Nouveau.

You’re very welcome, nothing to thank for the small donation, we thank you for your great support.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16345

Thank you Daniel. Hope the upgrade to 3.1 goes smoothly.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #16346

Hi Brajesh,

Apologies for stupid question.

I have created a clone of our website called stagingsite and it is properly working. Now, when I, for example, install a new plugin on the staging website and the site will crash, how do I need to proceed to undo the installation in order that the staging website will work again? Can I just go to the Original site, then go to Staging plugin and click “Create new Staging site” and it will overwrite the staging site with the data of original site again and then I can retry to install other plugins ?

I couldn’t find that information on the wp-staging website, that’s why I thought to ask you 🙂

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Participant
    Daniel on #16348

Yo Hi Brajesh,

Actually I have found out that I can go to the staging plugin and under menu SITES/START I see my staging sites.

This means I just can delete/update the site and reproduce a new staging site right ?

By the way, I have updated to BuddyPress 3.1.0 on staging site and since, the webpage is not loading anymore, it shows a grey page when refreshing and states ERROR 500.

I guess I have done something wrong. Will delete this staging site and create a new one and try again.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16349

Hi Daniel,
    Yes, you have found the right way. In case of any issue, you can go to the original site and can see the list of staging sites.

Delete the staging site having issue and re-create one to proceed.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved