BuddyDev

Search

User Profile Visibility Manager blocking clickthrough to Member Profile

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Mark Winstein on #41675

If I have User Profile Visibility Manager enabled and full access is allowed for a Member, other Members can’t click through to see the original Member’s profile. When User Profile Visibility Manager is disabled, other Members can click through to original Member’s profiles just fine.

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #41676

Hello Mark,

Sorry for the inconvenience. By click, do you mean other users are not able to access his/her profile or do nothing happens when other users click his/her profile link?.

Regards
    Ravi

• Participant
    Mark Winstein on #41782

Hi Ravi,

Here is video showing the issue:

https://www.loom.com/share/8d3563fe85924e9ea23dae290821376d

Thank you very much!

Mark

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #41793

HI Mark,
    Thank you for the video. It was very helpful.

I can see the issue. Here is the reason:-

1. “Groups” is set as the default component(landing page) for a user. When you click on a user’s profile, you are see the groups as the default tab.

2. The My Groups is set to “Only Me” for the user.

That means, if you access your site.com/members/username/profile, this will be visible but the link site.com/members/username/ will not be visible as it defaults to my group.

Solution:-

Please either change the privacy for “My Groups” or change the Landing tab from Groups to profile.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mark Winstein on #41795

Hi Brajesh,

Thank you!! That worked like a charm.

But now we have just a very boring profile view (see image: https://www.loom.com/i/1cf74bc251d7456ebb9cb65e95f2ccec).

What can I do to make the info displayed on the Profile tabs look cool and include more info? Perhaps you recall, I was hoping to include the WordPress backing Biographical Info field as something editable. But this profile is soooo boring looking lol!!

I want anybody who clicks on a profile to be able see something great, like a slimmed down LinkedIn profile with spots for interesting info and a nice layout.

Yours,
    Mark

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #41798

Hi Mark,
    Thank you for confirming the solution.

The problem with profile is lack of data on the profile.

I am sorry, I could not help you with the xprofile data sync earlier. I will post the code and link today.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mark Winstein on #41826

Thank you, Brajesh.

Back to the original issue of pulling 404 errors on a persons profile page, I can also see that if I set the Profile to the first tab and someone hides their profile, we would again have the same issue – a direct URL referral to that person’s profile would redirect to a 404 page.

Is there a way to gracefully handle 404 errors relating to any profile blocks? I would like to choose a live page for blocked profile errors. Is there a code snippet I could use for that?

Yours,
    Mark

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #41841

Hi Mark,
    Are you referring to

Who Can See your profile?

This option blocks all pages of the user. It is not the user/profile page.

You can set a redirection policy(and fallback) in the Dashboard->settings->BP Profile Visibility Manager page.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved