BuddyDev

Search

Using AMP with BuddyPress

• Participant
    Level: Yogi
    calu on #30268

Hi there, I trying to figure out, if any of the BuddyPress content are AMP validated and can benefit from this, on mobile devices.

I’ve got this explanation from AMP support:

“BuddyPress is not fully AMP compatible. You can however use AMP in reader or transitional mode, while disabling AMP for any content types or templates that feature non AMP compatible features.”

The question is, what is AMP compatible and what is not, regarding BP?

Regards
    Carsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #30287

Hi Carsten,
    Thank you for the question.

I personally do not think that AMP is much relevant for BuddyPress. The main purpose of BuddyPress is interactivity among members.

I do not see any value in adding AMP except for improvement in search position for a BuddyPress site. You can still use any AMP plugin for WordPress for the posts/pages.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #30291

Hi Brajesh, thanks for the clarification about AMP, as the word says, Accelerated Mobile Pages, I would have expect to see som speed improvements, but not with BP content yet.

Regards
    Carsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #30325

Hi Carsten,
    Thank you for the reply.

I do not see much value in doing so much extra work just for the sake of google. It will be much better to focus on mobile experience than thinking about a specific technology.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #30327

Hi Brajesh, I totally agree, but my purpose of using AMP was excactly that, to improve UX on mobile, particularly regarding speed improvements.

What did you have in mind, any suggestions in that aspect?

I have done a lot of tests to increase speed of BP content, which is my biggest concern publishing my site, because I still find it extremely slow, compared with other social networks, which have instant load of content. The problem with using cache with BuddyPress is the dynamic content.

Is BuddyPress just not build for speed?

The amount of plugins creates a lot of calls, which is key in relation to speed.

Regards
    Carsten

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved