BuddyDev

Search

What plugins I need to set up a dating site?

Tagged: 

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Mete on #29471

I am trying to separate genders in my members list to hide same sex profiles. I need a proper guidance to let me know what I need to do. I see a few plugins but I am not sure which one is the best to use.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29485

Hi Mete,
    Welcome to BuddyDev.

Creating a dating site needs a lot of time and thinking. I will only address your specific question in this reply.

If you want to hide/restrict users based on gender, my suggestion will be to create member types for gender.

BuddyPress allows filtering users list with member type very easily(though needs code).

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mete on #29493

I would assume your plugin addressed this situation. I am afraid to change codes in case of any updates.
    I already created genders.
    But when people login (male/female) they are seeing both genders.
    What is the code I need to add ? my genders are male/female currently.

i saw a plugin BuddyPress Member Types Pro you are advertising, i thought this plugin would do the job but i don’t want to invest money without making sure thats what i need.

• Participant
    Mete on #29496

I have just installed the member type pro plugin and able to separate the genders.
    I am able to redirect them to the correct gender page however how will i stop them from seeing the same gender?

ie. i want women just to see men and vice versa.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29520

Hi Mete,
    Thank you for purchasing. We do plan to add it in future in the plugin(have to work on the setings).

I will share some code today for the same. Please let me know the unique name you have given to these genders in the member type.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mete on #29527

i used female and male. also I am curious about how to stop members from seeing users before they login. I want to do a community front page like Facebook or similiar to entice people to join community to access user profiles.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Mete.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29540

Hi Mete,
    Thank you for the reply. I am posting code in my next reply(marking that private since I will be including this feature in the plugin itself).

The code allows you to

1. Show users only users from other gender
    2. Prevents users from same gender to access each other’s profile(opposite gender can)
    3. site admins can see all and access all

It does not filter activity stream or group’s members list.

As for other question, you will most probably need custom development. But if you only wnat to add privacy to site, Please let me know. I have posted some code for that on our blog in past.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29541
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Participant
    Mete on #29555

Hello. Thank you for the code you sent however I could not located the file called bp-custom.php

• Participant
    Mete on #29556

I found the following file

class-bp-customizer-control-range.php

and placed your code in this file and it did work on the login page. however this code is not hiding content in the latest members or popular members widgets. so the user can still click on the profile link of the same gender.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved