- Audiomonk on August 31, 2019 at 9:11 am in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #25125
I know the feeling of being lost Brajesh. Thanks for all of your and everyone else’s help with this. I don’t think I’ll be able to reproduce it on your demo installation, you can easily see it on mine, if you go to a sample gallery, for example..
Right this very moment,I think I know now what is causing the problem. The galleries won’t show to anyone who isn’t logged in. So when facebook is trying to scrape, they aren’t logged in so they’ll get redirected to the home page. I just have to find out the setting to allow the public to see the galleries. I’m almost certain now this is the case.
I might find it in the meantime, but in case I don’t, where would the setting be to allow the public to see the galleries and images in the galleries?
- Audiomonk on August 28, 2019 at 8:21 am in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #25047
It didn’t work unfortunately. Both links stayed the same when I ran the URL through the facebook debugger. After I tried this, I disabled The SEO Framework and the two links matched, but then facebook said the image wasn’t defined correctly. I checked the OG tags and they were defined correctly? Really am stuck on this one.
- Audiomonk on August 27, 2019 at 7:42 pm in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #25027
I can see it is the same on yours, so am not sure what is changing it on my website.
- Audiomonk on August 24, 2019 at 10:56 am in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #24940
Ok Brajesh, and thanks for all your help.
The SEO plugin I’m using is The SEO framework
No idea why the two links aren’t matching, are they matching on yours? I could test a fix to see if that works if you have a quick solution and let you know? I don’t really understand canonical, I just know it works when the two links match and it doesn’t when they don’t.
- Audiomonk on August 23, 2019 at 8:47 am in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #24915
After a lot of debugging, I think the problem lies in the fact the URL passed to facebook is correct but the canonical URL is set to the homepage.
So when the fetched URL matches the canonical URL everything works (this is on my regular posts with featured images).
For some reason though the URLs for the galleries, and the media images in Mediapress, the fetched url and the canonical are different, the canonical being set to the homepage. So am guessing facebook goes there for the info. How can I fix that? Or any idea why it’s doing that ?
- Audiomonk on August 23, 2019 at 8:00 am in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #24912
I did debug the URL, and you’re right it does show the meta, I use a browser extension that shows the meta for a page, and it points to the right image, and the right url with proper description. However, when I share that on facebook, it still puts a default description and a default image 🙁
At first I thought it was my SEO plugin as that outputs og meta, so I disabled that, and the problem persists. Kind of driving me crazy how the page source shows the correct meta, but facebook (even on a non cached page) still shows default images.
- Audiomonk on August 22, 2019 at 5:47 pm in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #24878
<meta property="og:image" content= "https://path.to/mediapress/image.jpg" />' (whatever the link to the image would be) and
<meta property=”og:title” content=”name of media” />
<meta property=”og:description” content=”description of media if added etc” />`
- Audiomonk on August 22, 2019 at 5:42 pm in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #24877
Thanks for your reply, and the latest changes, it certainly works better now and it does share the right URL and items, but the open graph data isn’t there, as a result it only shows a default image (not the mediapress one) and a default description/title. Would be much better if it could show the actual image being shared, or one from a gallery being shared, along with the title/description of the image or gallery.
Is there any way to do this ?
- Audiomonk on August 22, 2019 at 9:20 am in reply to: I need a way to share single images from a gallery to facebook? #24863
On further checking the mpp social sharing plugin, is sharing the correct url but it has no image to share, so it uses the default sharing image. If you’re going to share a gallery it would be far better to share using an image from the gallery, not some random default image. Seems to be a feature needed really. If there are other options to share single images, or galleries properly, could someone let me know?