Hope you all are doing well as always. As promised earlier, the gallery had to be released in the last week of October, but I could not make that. Sorry for that. This post is here to keep you updated about the gallery.
Other than what we already have in gallery currently, the new release will have the following enhancement/additional features:-
- Delete Audio from Play List
- Delete Video from Playlist
- Comment on video playlist page
- Comment on audio playlist page(When a video is played, the comments are loaded for that video/audio and user can comment further)
- Square Thumbnails support
- Original Image can be preserved now(Choice is made by site admins)
- You can create any number of thumbnails(using media meta)
- Fix for the upload space showing incorrectly in single user WordPress
- Alternative uploader for html5/non flash based device
- New filters for allowing size limitations based on roles/individual user
- Gallery API to create new Media types easily with gallery(*say pdf documents and so on)
- Gallery API to attach gallery to any other component
- Group Admin Can enable/disable gallery tab(using group extension for this, we may have issues on some install)
- Post to Activity can be automated/or posted as done now
- All the widgets are re-written for better compatibility
- Improved shortcodes
- Embedding of gallery media in other places possible.
- Improved My galleries page to list the group galleries too
- Fixing css conflict with wordpress gallery
- Upload from Anywhere(* this is still not fully functional)
- Reading meta from Audio
- Reading meta from Video
- Improved privacy(fixing the bugs)
- Adding External media(currently youtube/flickr supported but I have small issues with playing youtube videos in flowoplayer and also youtub tos does not allow playing it in another player, so just thinking about more options. )
- Tagging(no face recognition in core though you will be able to tag a portion of image using the Notes/annotation script, the plugin for automatic face detection with OpenCV will come later)
- Code simplification for uploading
- Removed the notice plugin
- A lot of documentation for gallery is coming to allow you do many more things
- Still working on on the following:-
- Standalone Galleries
- Sharing of media among the galleries(may be group and personal)
- RSS feed for the media items
- Rating (will be a plugin itself)
- Decoupling the uploader completely
- Decoupling the video player/audio player completely
- RTSP Support(* may not be able to complete it in this release)
- Remote Storage(* may not be available in 1.0 release)
- Upload By email(this feature may come with this version, not too sure about it)
- Better Caching
- Some template changes(for column etc)
- Lightbox viewer plugin for galleries(on profile/groups etc)
There are a few things which I could not work in this release like nested galleries, FFMpeg support(though It will be coming this month if my local linux sever works, I have put the appropriate filters to make it work as external plugin with gallery).
The major change is in the change of structure for gallery code. It is organized now. The new gallery will have many more capability for developers who want to customize it/extend it without changing the core gallery files. You can do almost everything with it. Also, the new gallery is much faster than the older one with the code updates.
Release date: I am still working on it and have missed last weeks deadline, there are a few features which I feel they must go in this release but have got some troubles implementing them. So the release I plan to do anytime soon(In a week time from now, may be this Sunday, may not be, will depend on the features implemented). Please allow me a few more days until I am satisfied with the changes. yes, I am trying to buy I a little more time here.
If any of you have got Phillip's TinyMCe plugin for bp-gallery, please point me as his site is down at the moment and the plugin with me is very old one. I will try to enhance and put the plugin to allow embedding the media/gallery embed in the post editor. Please be a little bit more patient(I know you all have been enough patient), this gallery release is the last time I am missing deadlines, no further plugin/theme deadline will be missed after this. The aim of this new site design that you see is to enhance my own productivity and timing.
And last thing, To all my Indian subcontinent friends viewing this page, wish you all a very very happy and prosperous Diwali, though I will be missing home for the first time in several years on this Diwali but Looking forward to it 🙂