BuddyDev

Search

Ajax Registration optimization against spammers

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Daniel on #15584

Hi,

We are using the BP Ajax Registration Form for registering which is cool, but we have now been target of spammers on a daily basis. They do open accounts and then create a group and put their advertisments in the group with links to their homepages.

Might there be a solution for this to make the sign up more difficult for spammers to reduce these kind of spam advertisers?

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #15586

Hi Daniel,
    Spam is a huge issue with BuddyPress. I will suggest three options

1. Using this plugin to enable https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-captcha/
    2. If there are too many registrations(spam registrations) from specific domain, use our ban registration domain to ban some of these
    https://buddydev.com/plugins/wp-ban-registration-domain/

3. If nothing works, you may use BP Registration Option plugin to keep the new users on hold and manually activate them.

Best regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #15589

Hi Brajesh,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Looks like to be some interesting solutions.

Will try it out.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    giuseppe on #43354

Hello,

i want to subscribe to buddypress plugin and I have some questions.

It is crucial for me to have an automated system to control spam registration and the capthca solution indicated here is 6 years old and not supported nor renewed.

1. Is there an updated solution compatible with your ajax registration system?

2. And, about this, I’d like a new user would be registered (using ajax plugin) in the home page (where other stuff are http://www.amodio.live), included in some groups (using your other plugin) and then remaining there in the home page as facebook-live (as by the other plugin) user. Does this happen flowly or some shortcode is needed?

Please let me known,

Giuseppe

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    giuseppe on #43357

Here I am again.

To be more precise about point 2, I need that the stream activity showed in any page I need will be only the one related to the profile of the User if logged, and the register/log if not logged visitor.

The scope is inserting the social activity of the User in any page of the website it’s needed as it was the activity page of the member (and not only his stream). Is this possible?

Many thanks,

Giuseppe

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    George V on #43407

I went with cleantalk for our spam issues. The prices are quite low and it seems to be working well.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #43441

Hi Giuseppe,
    Thank you for the question and patience.

1. No.
    2. You can configure the login/activation redirect for that. I don’t see any need for other plugin.

I will also suggest checking out cleantalk(which George has suggested) for spam. I have used it on couple of sites(not with Ajax Registration) and It did help a lot.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #46949

Hi,

Due to Spammers, I have disabled the plugin for automatic activation of new user accounts and the sending email for activation option works fine. The only thing is that the email is landing in the spam folder of the email account.

Would it be possible to tell me where I can amend the activation message saying to check the spam folder?

“You have successfully created your account! To begin using this site you will need to activate your account via the email we have just sent to your address.”

Thank you.

Regards
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #46976

Hi Daniel,
    Welcome back.

The easy way would be to use a translation plugin and translate it. Otherwise, It should be in your theme/childtheme/buddypress/members/register.php if using legacy template pack.

If you are using BP Nouveau, this can be changed via a filter.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved