BuddyDev

Search

Automated Cover Images per Member Type

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #23815

Hi Brajesh,

I’m just going to post a number of ideas in the forum as I think of them. You may view them as good ideas to implement or as paid-for addons which we can discuss privately.

This one is for Featured Images relating to Member Types.

I would like the default Buddypress Cover Image for a member to relate to their Member Type. This requires a few things:

1 – If they have no member type they would have no default Cover Image.
    2 – Because I want to force at least one Member Type on my sites, they would therefore normally have a Cover Image.
    3 – Because many members would have more than one Member Type, they would need to choose a “Primary Member Type” (in the case of my site, a keyboard model).
    4 – I would want them to be able to choose their “Primary Member Type”, so that they don’t have to ask me to do so.
    5 – I would like them to be able to over-ride this default Cover Image if they want to (but I could live without it). If they delete their own Cover Image it would revert back to the “Primary Member Type” cover image.

Here’s an exmaple, the image would come from the Member Type (image placement not great yet):

https://www.technicsinstruments.com/members/mike/

In a perfect world I would want the page’s default title bar background to be the same image (taken from Member Type)… but I can live without that 🙂

Thanks,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #23838

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Our team had implemented this earlier but we did not enable it.

Here is what we did.
    1. Allow cover for each member type
    2. If a user has more that one member type, we use the first member type with default cover(allowing a primary member type will need front UI which we may add in future, though we assume member types to be changeable, so not sure of it yet)

We do not touch default cover if the user does not have any member type or all member types for user do not have cover associated. A user can always override it.

We will make the release public on Saturday.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #23839

Ingenious! Thank you!

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #23862

I had a thought, randomising the cover image if the user has multiple member types could also work well if a primary member type is difficult to implement 🙂

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #23870

Thank you Mike. I will put a filter for the same.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #23941

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for the patience. We have released the update.

https://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-member-types-pro/

You can set default cover image based on member type. I have also put a filter in case you want to randomize for multi member types.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #23952

Hi Brajesh,

A few questions about this.

This is working beautifully on the main site, except that the cover image is not displayed for the members on the subsites. Do you think I have a setting wrong?

https://technicskeyboard.com/members/pepper/
    https://www2.technicskn7000.com/members/pepper/

When I try to bulk update users to have a Member Type, it fails with URL too long error (I have it set VERY long for now in php.ini).

When I update an individual user to a Member Type it changes their Role to Subscriber (which is correct because I set it that way) but it removes their forum role of Participant. Is that as intended? I would have to repair their role of participant in bbpress repairs? or something else?

many thanks,
    Mike

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #23953

PS some of the issues are because I’m trying to update existing, imported users of course. So for example, bulk editing would mean paging through all the members page by page to update or refresh their member types.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #23954

Hi Mike,
    Good to see that you are available today(I did not reply to other thread thinking you were away on the business visit).

I have checked it and it is a bug in the plugin when used on multisite. We need to switch blog before we are accessing the meta. Since switching blog often is not a very good idea(we already do that to fetch member type). I am going to look at some other way to fetch the url.

Will push a release by tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #23956

Thank you… yes I found an hour or so spare 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved