BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Automatically join groups on registration

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Jay Anderson on #9558

Hello Brajesh,

Thanks for creating the BuddyPress Member Types Pro. This is exactly what I need for many of my projects.

Brilliant!

I have a question about user registering and automatically joining groups.

I am creating a BuddyPress social network for several schools. I am using the Community Theme and BuddyPress Member Types Pro, along with several other of BuddyDev plugins.

I have things setup so the user chooses what type of membership (Student, Staff, Teacher, Parent). Based on that selection I have the different fields pop up. If Student is selected I have The Grade Levels come up. The Student chooses which grade he/she is in and then the Home Room Teachers selection pops up.

What I was wondering if it is possible to have the student automatically assigned to the Home Room Teacher’s Group when they register?

Thanks again for all the work you do. Much appreciated.

Jay

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9559

Thank you Jay.
    I am glad you liked it.

Great suggestion about adding to group based on member type. I will put an update by tomorrow with the Group selector option.

Please do let me know if yu have more suggestions.

Thank you.
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9566

Hi Jay,
    Please upgrade to 1.0.1

The new release allows you to setup groups that the user will join automatically on member type change.

It also contains support for Paid Membership Pro levels in case that helps.

Please do let me know if it works for you or not?

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Jay Anderson on #9667

Hey Brajesh,

It all works great with the Groups and the Membership type. Thanks.

One question, is it possible to have the user join a group based on a choice of Field? Here’s my scenario.

The site has 4 types of members (Teachers, Staff, Students & Parents).

The user selects which member type they are. Once selected I have different fields depending on the membership type.

If student is selected I then have a field asking them to select their Grade Level (Grade 5, 6 or 7).

Once the Grade Level is selected I have a dropdown menu with all the Grade Levels Homeroom Teachers. The user would then select which Homeroom they are in.

What I would like is to have the student join the Homeroom group they selected in that field.

My goal is to give each Homeroom teacher their own Group and to have the students automatically join it when they register.

I’m not sure if this is possible and I can try and work something out with membership types. This would be the ideal scenario for me and the school.

Thanks again for all the great work,

Jay

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9676

Hi Jay,
    It is doable.
    We are working on our recommendation engine for BuddyPress that allows this behaviour and a lot more.

if you are going to launch soon, I can assist with the code but if you can wait for a week, we will have our BuddyPress recommendation Engine ready.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Jay Anderson on #9690

That’s perfect Brajesh. I am in no rush so I can definitely wait a week or two.

Thanks,

Jay

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9696

Thank you Jay.

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Allan Dorr on #9894

Hi Brajesh,
    I was wondering if anything has come of the functionality that Jay suggested? Where a user joins a group based on a different x-profile field besides the member type.
    Thanks so much,
    Allan

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9896

Hi Allan,
    Thank you for posting.
    I am in the process of development but stuck on a few things.

Mostly, I am stuck at how to allow site admins to define rules that make it easy to use.

We need to have rules for registration/activation as well as for suggestions(in the widget). I will need a few more days to get my head around this.

If you have any suggestions, Please do let me know.

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Allan Dorr on #9989

Hi Brajesh,

I just realized I had posted this her as well.

Thinking about the rules a little bit:
    It seems like only Site Admins be able to define which groups are auto join on activation, and which profile field corresponds to which group.

And then Group Admins should be able to define which of their groups are available to suggest in the widget.
    Site Admins should also be able to turn this function on and off.

I guess that could just be my personal preference. Is there something I didn’t take into consideration?

Thanks,
    Allan

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Automatically join groups on registration’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved