BuddyDev

Search

bbPress / BuddyPress notification interaction?

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Mike Witt on #50401

I have a bit of a mystery here, which I *think* involves an interaction between bbPress and BuddyPress. I’m going to put it out here, just in case anyone has any ideas.

What’s happening is that BuddyPress notifications times look right with the exception of notifications for bbPress forum post/replies. Notifications for forum replies are offset by the site’s offset from UTC. So, for example, if the WordPress Timezone setting is “New York” (which is currently UTC-4) the a forum notification says “4 hours ago” immediately.

If nothing else, I’d be curious if anyone else sees this, or if it’s just me.

Many thanks!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #50412

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for sharing.
    We did not notice it but it seems like a bug if that’s happening.

We will try it in one of our setups in next 2 days and will report back.

in the meantime, if you can provide steps to re-produce, I will suggest filing a bug report here.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike Witt on #50417

I’d rather wait and see if you can try it, to make sure that it’s not something specific to my sites. Also I don’t know if it should be reported against bbPress or BuddyPress. It seems like the problem only happens when BP provides a notification for the bbP post. The forum times on bbP itself seem good (as far as I can tell). So I don’t know how to tell which plugin is in error.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #50424

Thank you Mike.
    I will let you know of my tests sometimes today.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike Witt on #50469

Do you need any more info from me? Just want to make sure I gave you enough to try to reproduce it.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #50472

Hi Mike,
    I am sorry for the delay. I could not test earlier.

I am on UTC+5:30 and I am not seeing the issue.
    Here is my notification.
    https://i.ibb.co/7JgNKqY/Selection-142.png

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike Witt on #50477

Well, your notification says “some time ago.” If you just did it shouldn’t it say “just now” or something like that. My systems all say something like 20 minutes ago or 4 hours ago, but it appears that you are not configured to tell exactly how long it was?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #50478

Hi Mike,
    When using UTC+0 it says the exact time. When using UTC+5:30 it show that some times ago message. I tested with BuddyPress 11.2

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike Witt on #50479

Your system displays notifications if a very different format than mine:

https://physicscafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Screenshot-at-2023-09-10-11-06-50.png

These two notifications came in at the same time. The mentions notification correctly says “29 seconds” but the forum reply notification is offset by the time relative to UTC “6 hours.”

I suspect that you are seeing the same thing I am, but your system just says “some time ago” rather than saying 5 hours. I don’t know why the format difference. I *think* I’m using the standard BP formatting (unless the theme changes it). I’m running the newest BP 11.3.1.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #50481

Hi Mike,
    I upgraded to 11.3.1 and the result is same.
    I was using the twenty twenty 2 theme and Nouveau template pack.

You are using Legacy template pack, that’s why the look was different. I have tested with legacy and I don’t see the issue.

I will suggest checking with a different theme to see if it is caused by theme.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved