BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Blog Categories For Groups and Custom Taxonomies

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Ada on #3365

Thank you for following up. Here’s a new link for anonymous: http://pastebin.com/yHUZer1T

As to the the content relative to the discussion of #post-3057 it is the exact copy and paste of what you suggested in that post.

Many thanks again.

• Participant
    Ada on #3443

Realizing your busy just following up to see if version of 1.2.4 of Blog Categories for Groups was supposed to have fixed the issue of custom taxonomies not displaying. I still encounter the issue with this version and I wonder if perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Many thanks, Ada

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3454

Hi Ada,
    I have looked into the issue and so did Ravi.

What we found that when you set custom taxonomy from Settings->Blog Categories page in WordPress, you can assign terms from that taxonomy to a Group.

After that, you will be able to list posts(custom post types) from that taxonomy(with the selected terms).

I checked the code on pastebin(the latest one), and it is only about anonymous posting. That code does not need any change.

Please let me know what issues you are facing and what is your current setup and I will be more quick in my replies in future.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Ada on #3468

Thank you Brajesh for your kind reply. I see now what you mean. This is a manual step to select desired custom taxonomies at Group creation (or after group creation by selecting “manage” while in the group and selecting Group Categories). BUT this is not possible when using the code(5+1 sections) you provided (as per post: https://buddydev.com/support/forums/topic/blog-categories-for-groups-auto-creating-selecting-cats-for-groups/). When using it with that customization (which is exactly what I need) the step for selecting the custom taxonomies is hidden from Group creation and selecting “manage” after the group creation. So, this is where I get stuck.

Is there a way to have all terms of an “allowed” custom taxonomy to be displayed for selection by user while creating a post from a group?

I had that working on previous versions of Blog Categories and Simple Front End Post albeit with a lot of customization of core files (which is not a good practice).

For example this is just one snippet put in form.php in previous versions which did the trick for displaying all terms of custom taxonomy “levels”: http://pastebin.com/qL6Fm0Re

As to the Anonymous code: I myself came up with the weird way of temporarily assigning edit capability for others posts and then removing that capability. I thought by sharing that you may have a more elegant way of doing that. But if it is fine I’ll leave it as that.

Many thanks again for all your expert advice and help all along.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3479

Hi Ada,
    Thank you for the details.

We can update the code for the post you have referenced to work with custom taxonomy(levels in your case).

I have a question though:-
    Will you need to display all terms to the user even if we use automatic assignment for the groups to terms?

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Ada on #3480

Thanks Brajesh Sir, not sure exactly what you mean by that. Let me put it the way I understand it. Using the above referenced code the category is automatically assigned to the post so there is no need for user intervention (in fact I may hide the category by css). The custom taxonomy is commonly a short list of terms for user to choose from as check boxes and it is always the same across all groups (choose university levels 1 through 5). I hope this answers your question.

Many thanks,
    Ada

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3492

Hi Ada,
    I am sorry, i was away.

I am sorry but I am still not very clear about the goal.

1. Are you using category and taxonomy both? Are you assigning category automatically and want me to help in listing terms to the user for the ‘level’ taxonomy.

Or if possible, can you please explain what needs to be done here. I am very sorry for not understanding it.

• Participant
    Ada on #3496

Thanks Brajesh for your attention. Apology is all mine. The short answer to 1. is yes:

a) with the code you provided to another user (referenced above) assign the category (same as Group name) to the post from that group

b) allow the user to select a term from a taxonomy (in this case “levels”).

I’ll try to break things down in segments – perhaps it would make more sense to see the whole picture.

Out of the box Blog Categories for Groups, as one of the steps of group creation, allows selection of categories and custom taxonomies (as set in the settings for allowed taxonomies) to be presented to user when they create a new post from a group. This works well but not what I need (see below).

A special need is solved with the code you provided to another user (referenced above) to assign automatically the category same as the group name – this works also well and this is what I needed. With this code in place, however, the terms of an allowed custom taxonomy selected in the settings (in this case “levels” – in addition to the automatically assigned category) do not appear in the post for user selection as they do out of the box. This is the only issue that I am trying to emphasize. In other words, I need the terms of a selected taxonomy to be presented to the user creating a post for selection as check boxes analogous to adding the snippet http://pastebin.com/qL6Fm0Re to form.php

Is this possible or should I resort back to hard-coding form.php?

Regards,
    Ada

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3501

Hi Ada,
    Thank you. Finally, I understood it.

I will be posting code a little late today.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Ada on #3520

Much obliged and many thanks for all your help.

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Blog Categories For Groups and Custom Taxonomies’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved