BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] BP Member types pro: role association problem on registration

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Philippe Guilbert on #19821

Hi,

Using BP Member types pro for one of my project I noticed a problem about role association during registration. Let me explain it a little more: I’ve set 4 different member types (students, workers, companies, etc.). while all of these types get the standard “subscriber” role, some need to get a “candidate” role (students & workers) and some an “employer” role(companies) in order to use properly the job listing service developed on the web site. I’ve followed all your guidelines and set all the needed parameters (I guess) but something is going wrong during registration:
    On registration, I ask users to define their member type. That seems to work fine: users get their member type registered, but not all their roles (no candidate/employer role associated). After a few tests, I found out that role assignation only works while UPDATING the member type (and not CREATING)… Is there a way to fix that? Since asking new users to edit a parameter they’ve just set is a non-sense, the only solution I found for the moment is to design a 2-step registration process (basic registration first, and selecting their member type afterward). I would be really happy to find a better solution : I am a bit scared of the consequences on the registration rate!

Do not hesitate to ask me for more information,

Best Regards,

Philippe

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19822

Hi Philippe,
    Thank you for posting.

It seems to me that you are using a plugin for creating custom roles.

Here is what I am guessing the issue is, the custom roles created by the plugins are not available on BuddyPress Activation action.

WordPress will set the role if it exists and it seems to me that due to the priority of activation action, the custom roles are most probably not available.

To check this, Can you please map student to “Contributor” and try. This is a built in role and should give us a better idea.

Please let me know how it goes and also which plugin you are using for creating custom role, I can look into it and see if there is any way to make the roles available early from it.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Philippe Guilbert on #19856
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19859

Hi Philippe,
    Thank you.

I have re tested the registration and role assignment on BuddyPress 4.1 and there seems to be some issue in assigning roles(even the normal ones).

Please allow me around 24 hours to put a fix(will have before that).

Thank you
    Brajesh.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19876

Hi Philippe,
    Please upgrade to 1.2.6 and it will be fixed.

The problem was BuddyPress was overwriting our role changes. In the new update, I have add some code to disable role change by BuddyPress on registration if the role is already set. That fixes it.

https://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-member-types-pro/

Please let me know if it works for you or not?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Philippe Guilbert on #19972

Hi Brajesh,

thanks for this update. Now it works perfectly ;p

Thanks again for your help,

Happy New Year btw!

Best Regards,

Philippe

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19990

HI Philippe,
    Happy New Year 🙂

I am glad it is resolve now. I sincerely appreciate your patience on this.

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] BP Member types pro: role association problem on registration’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved