BuddyDev

Search

BuddyPress Moderation Tools – moderate profile fields changes

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Maksim Rusakovich on #17176

For my site it’s very important to moderate user profile fields.
    Also – limit changed in profile fields, like your plugin – Activity limit.
    Could you add these features to your plugin?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17181

Hi Maksim,
    Welcome to BuddyDev forums.

1. Can you please explain me how the limit should apply? Since the profile fields mean multiple items, we need to have a strategy about it if we want to rate limit. Should we limit whole editing or individual field?

2. We will consider moderation in future, for now, please use this plugin
    https://github.com/calliaweb/Moderate-Buddypress-xProfile-Changes. It allows you to moderate individual fields.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Maksim Rusakovich on #17185

Hello Brajesh.

First of all, thank for your pack. I bought full pack and I’m very glad with it.

1. The problem. We should make the registration steps more simple as it’s possible. But in other hand we should have all profile fields are filled.

For dating website, for example, Looking for and About me fields. Without these fields, we should restrict access for this user to website members page, and/or writing the messages to other users.

2. Moderation. We don’t want the user makes changes often. We want to make limits (once per day/week/month) as you created for Activity tab.
    So, user updates his fields. While the moderator is checking these fields, all users see his old fields.

If approved, new profile fields replace old fields. If not, old fields stay the same.

3. So, Moderate-Buddypress-xProfile-Changes is not working, because this plugin hide the field while its under moderation. But we need show old, approved before, fields before updated fields will be approved/disapproved by moderator.

4. Sure, while fields are under moderation, user can’t make other changes with his fields till the desision of the moderator.

Thank you

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17200

Hi Maksim,
    Thank you. I am glad that our plugins are helpful.

1. I can understand this. Have seen many clients asking the same in past. If needed, I can share a plugin that forces user to complete their profile fields. I had written parts of it for one of our member and can put it as a plugin.

2, 3,4:- Thank you. I can see it has a great potential, specially in intranet and dating sites. I will be interested in working on it in future. What is your timeline? I can confirm whether I will be able to add something like this within your schedule or not?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Maksim Rusakovich on #17204

Hello, Brajesh.

It’s great. So, we can wait these functions from your plugin pack, and they will be useful for big amount of your clients.

Sure, it’s better to implement these function as soon as possible to protect the site from rude behaviour of users.
    Thank you

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17251

Hi Max,
    We are going to have a major update for the plugin this month.

I will try to have this(Can not commit 100% yet).

I have a question though, what should we do with the data from registration? In your case, It does not matter as you won’t be allowing extra fields but in general, we need to have some approach for handling this. Do you have any suggestions ?

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Maksim Rusakovich on #17258

Hello Brajesh.

It’s great! I knew that purchasing your full pack is a good idea and investment.

Members fields.

1. During registration we can suggest to fill fields (about me, looking for, etc), but filling them are not necessary for this step. But, we should hide the user profile until he fill all fields in his account. We should give the message to the user: “You don’t fill all fields, you account on hold and invisible for other users”

2. To simplify moderation process, the user should fill all necessary fields (superadmin can choose what profile fields should be filled, if avatar uploading is mandatory) before sending his profile for moderation.

3. If the user doesn’t fill all necessary fields he can’t (checkbox selection in admin panel): write messages to other user, comment, be visible in Members page.

4. If user changes one of the field, he is invisible for search result and direct link, but he can receive messages from existed message threads.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17261

Hi Max,
    Thank you for the kind words and the suggestions. I will keep you informed of our progress.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Maksim Rusakovich on #17468

Hello Brajesh

Do you plan to add these functions in your next releases?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17469

Hi Max,
    It is not coming in our next release. In the next release, we are adding post type(and hoping that we can have comments too) moderation.

Even though it is a very useful functionality, It needs time. The reason is, currently the moderation strategy is based on “Report and hold information”.

In case of profile updates, This approach does not apply. It is going to be difficult. We will need to manage 2 copies with all the details(visibility, groups) and then we will have to recreate the whole profile population/notification mimicking what a user would have done them selves.

It will need planning and I am still not sure on the schema etc. It will need us to most probably have a shadow copy of the profile field data table. It is most probably more complex than it looks on surface.

Also, we will need to remove BuddyPress core functionality to handle profile update and write our own(I don’t see other way to intercept without letting BuddyPress change the adat).

I will need atleast 8-12 weeks before we can have it.

Thank you
    Brajesh

The topic ‘BuddyPress Moderation Tools – moderate profile fields changes’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: not resolved