BuddyDev

Search

BuddyPress Private Message Rate Limiter

• Participant
    Level: Yogi
    calu on #16729

Hi there, this is exactly the plugin i was looking for to limit private messages.

However, one important feature is missing, the option of selecting different user levels and user roles.
    I like the idea of offering users all features free within a limit, and a payable unlimited access.

For example, I would like to offer i.g. five messages free within 24 hours on my site. The user remain subscriber level status.

When the five messages have been reached, the user should be redirected to my shop page for an subscription, to achieve customer level status.

Right now I am using the excellent Restrict User Access, but this plugin only give the option for restricting all messages.

Regards
    Carsten

• Participant
    calu on #16730

One UX issue

The message, when the user has reached the limit, pops up to late when the user already has filled in the “Subject” and “Message” fields. The message should pop up when a letter is entered

• Participant
    calu on #16731

Or when the message tab is activated, or a conversation is entered

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16732

Hi Carsten,
    Thank you for posting.

Limiting the message based on subscription should be handled by the membership plugin not the private message plugin.

The Private Message Rate limiter provides enough filter to let any plugin customize the no. of message/time based on the role or level if they want.

You may hire a developer or use our customization service if you need integration with a 3rd party plugin.

About the UX:- For Non Nouveau(Bp Legacy), if a user has crossed the limit, they won’t be able to even access the compose screen.

If you are using Nouveau, We have to work within the limitations. Nouveau uses a lot of JS and does not provide much leverage with the UI. I am sorry but we can not do much if you are using Nouveau.

If you are using the bp-legacy template pack, we can certainly help if it is not working like I explained.

For Replies, It seems natural to have it the way it is currently as the replies are done via ajax and you can not know if the user has already exhausted the limit.

Please let me know if you are using BP Legacy.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #16736

Hi Brajesh, yes, I am using BP Legacy template pack.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16738

Hi Carsten,
    If you are using the legacy template pack, There might be some issue with the plugin. Please allow me to check.

Is there a chance that you are using a premium theme? If yes, Please do let me know which one?
    Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #16740

I am using Vantage from SiteOrigin which is not a premium theme

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16741

Thank you. That will help.

I will get back to you in 3-4 hours.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #16745

Here is the dokumentation that it is possible to enter, and compose a message, before the limitation message pops up.

https://prnt.sc/kgoc5x

• Participant
    calu on #16746

It is also possible to enter an ongoing conversation, also here the message pops up, when activating the send button

https://prnt.sc/kgof86

http://prntscr.com/kgofld

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved