BuddyDev

Search

BuddyPress Private Message Rate Limiter

• Participant
    Level: Yogi
    calu on #16747

You wrote: “The Private Message Rate limiter provides enough filter to let any plugin customize the no. of message/time based on the role or level if they want.”

I am using Members Only Pro. Is there any way I can combine this with BuddyPress Private Message Rate Limiter out of the box?

There is options for adding other than BP standard components to different user roles.

“Opened Customized Components:
    Enter one component name per line please.
    Enter component name please, for example, for buddypress family component, please enter “family”
    If you do not know components name of your plugin, please contact the plugin author2

The problem, as I see it, is that you need two Private Message settings, one for subscribers with limitations, and one for customers with unlimited messages. But with the BuddyPress Private Message Rate Limiter plugin it is either or, as I see it?

You do not provide a membership plugin in your range of BP plugins?

Regards
    Carsten

• Participant
    calu on #16750

Please observe the small -1 on top of the message

https://prnt.sc/kgrwt7

Another smart feature would be, if the message was followed by a link, eg. a shop page?

• Participant
    calu on #16751

A redirection option

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16756

Hi Carsten,
    Thank you for the patience.
    Is there a chance that you are using an older version of the private message rate limit plugin? BuddyPress 3.0 broke it and we have released a new update for it.

1. The -1 at the top is most probably due to use of old plugin. BuddyPress 3.0/3.1 breaks the old plugin

2. I did check and I do see that we do not redirect from compose screen when the limit is reached. I can add this as an optional feature and allow a redirect location if you want.

Please do note that for replies, redirecting may not be a good idea.

As of the Membership Plugin compatibility, I am not sure how Restrict User Access handles it.
    We provide 2 filters.

'bp_rate_limit_pm_count' -> a callback will receive count as first parameter and user id as second

'bp_rate_limit_pm_throttle_duration' -> a callback will receive allowed time in minutes as the first parameter and user id as the second. 

A plugin can use it to set their own limits/time.

We do not have a membership plugin but we do plan to have one in future(Early next year, till then we are concentrating on our existing plugins).

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #16757

Hi Brajesh, thank you very much for your prompt response to my request.

I just downloadet Version 1.0.5 of BuddyPress Private Message Rate Limiter today from your home page, but it is probably an older version as the plugin was free to download. I will of course buy your plugin, if this is the right solution for me.

At the moment Woocommerce Subscriptions and Restrict user Access fulfill my claims, except from the message limitations and free trial period.

My claims are:
    A free trial period.
    Then
    A members site free of charge with limited messages for subscribers.
    A redirection to my shop page for buying a subscription when the limit is reached.

The user can the choose to stay as subscriber, or upgrade to a paid members site, with unlimited messages, by changing user role from subscriber to customer role.

At the moment these claims demands interaction between at least three plugins. I really hope for an all in one solution one day!

Thanks for the responsiveness, offering to add a redirection from the compose screen, am truly impressed with the personal support you offer. At the moment I am not sure how to find the right solution.
    Therefore I do not want you to invest to much time in this, unless you see a meaning adding a redirection option.

Regards
    Carsten

• Participant
    calu on #16759

Latest, I just tested my site with “Woocommerce Subscriptions”, “Restrict user Access”, “BP Members Only PRO” and “BuddyPress Private Message Rate Limiter”

I turns out that these plugins combined actually meets my requirements, this is great!

The only thing missing, is a redirection link in the message, when the message limit is reached, so I would very much like an optional feature to allow a redirect location as you offered, thanks!

Best regards
    Carsten

• Participant
    calu on #16760

So I thought, it turns out that BP Rate Limit Private Message overrules every other setting and restriction. An essential option in the BP Rate Limit Private settings Message is to be able to define different settings for different user roles.

• Participant
    calu on #17178

Hi Brajesh, while testing time BuddyPress message component and the Privat Message Rate Limiter, with a friend, for the first time I discovered the problem with the email notifications send, when receiving a message.

The problem is, that a member can get around the message rate limiter, by simply continue the conversation by email instead of messages.

I have been looking for a solution for this leak in BuddyPress.org support pages, and apparently there is no way of turning off these emails.

Have I overlooked this option in BuddyPress, or are there really no way of turning these messages off?
    If not, limiting the message rate is pretty meaningless?

I am putting you on overtime for the moment, I know, sorry about that!

Regards
    Carsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17179

Hi Carsten,
    BuddyPress does not support reply by email.

Are you using any 3rd party plugin to achieve it?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #17182

That’s strange, I wonder what plugin which give this option in settings, I will go through my plugins later today, thanks!

http://prntscr.com/krwidn

Regards

Carsten

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved