Hello everyone am new to buddy press and i want to create a community site with buudypress that will enable user to register either as a sponsor or user(with member type generator plugin).
project author (i.e user )will be able to post idea/project in the activity atream and will also be able to add items such as skills,fund etc needed to complete the project( like crowdfunding sites) author will also be able to enable “sponsor” and “help” buttons.
sponsors will be able to see the “sponsor” button
other users will be a ble to see the “help” button and the skills needed.
Any help as to how to go bout this will be appreciated.thanks in advance
Welcome to BuddyDev forums.
In my personal view, I believe that your project will be better if you look for crowdfunding themes & plugins. It can be done with BuddyPress but it will be too much custom work.
Instead, I will suggest first choosing a crowdfunding solution( theme+plugin ) and then if needed integrate BuddyPress.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply,
I checked earlier for a crowdfunding solution but they couldn’t satisfy my idea they are most do nit have social features and they are quite pricey given that i will have to customize further. Though it a great idea to integrate but still I will need help. thanks
- This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by lyrics.
I was actually thinking if one could hook into the activity post box a call to action button (like buddypress activity plus upload button) that drops down custom text fields that the post author could fill. If its possible then one will restrict access to the button by using the if(member_type == ‘user’) something like that though.
My concern is the accounting related to funds. Except that everything else can be done easily with BuddyPress.
Since you are going to allow funding of projects, you will need some way to manage the records for all the transactions and that is the one thing that will take the custom work.
If you have a solution for that, Other things are easy to do.
Thanks for your concern, I thought bout too so am not totally about direct funding as such. my main concern is to facilitate easy interaction between project author and sponsors. issues of transactions are not important buddypress is an open source project so running a free service isn’t a bad idea too.
it may be included later 😉
Thank you for explaining. If that is the case, Here is a small strategy on how to accomplish it.
1. Project:- A post type suits better. Allows us to use post meta for skills and other projects related information. Use template to generate a layout for showing single project(post type page). You can create a custom form for adding project specific details.
2. Member Type:- Suits for categorizing the user. A consideration will be whether to allow a user to be both author/sponsor or not? Whether you allow both or not( If you allow both, you will need to allow a user to have multiple member type, BuddyPress allows it), Member type is highly suitable here. It will allow you to have different lists for both type of user and differentiate between them.
3. Activity integration:- Since we are using post type for project, It will be simple to integrate with activity.
4. Communication:- Will they use private message to communicate or will you need per project dashboard/messages.
That is first strategy. Another strategy will be to use Group as project and customize it to allow adding skills etc.
The approach will depend on how much time & sill you are going to put into the site. Please do let me know which way you intend to go 🙂
The topic ‘ [Resolved] Create project based site with buddypress’ is closed to new replies.