Tagged: buddypress group, custom tab, page, post
Hi again @sbrajesh,
Sorry to keep bugging you with these things. I find bits and pieces of code scattered around the web but usually it’s not enough to make it work.
I’m trying to make a custom tab in the group pages that is visible to the admin/moderators only.
Inside the tab, is a custom page or a link that takes the group owner/moderators to a support page.
I’m not sure if I want to use a Q&A plugin or bbpress for this but I’d want to keep it contained inside of this tab inside of the group if possible.
If I can figure out a way for buddypress to automatically create a support forum for each group created, that would be nice because it would keep each individual group support separated and visible to that user. But, that might be a bit too complicated and the point of the support is to get feedback/request features added etc that would be a community effort rather than a individual group effort.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for all your help.
- Brajesh Singh on November 14, 2015 at 9:50 am #1506
Thank you for asking.
Though I am not 100% sure, I will try to explain a few things and may be some of them might be useful.
1. with bbPress it is possible for each group to have separate forums but the forums will be available to all members, I don’t think that is something you want
2. It is easy to add a link in group navigation that will take user to some other page on the site, will that work?
3. If we need to show a Page inside the group(not just link), we will need to use group extension and some content to show. Is this that you are looking for?
Can you please let me know which approach are you looking for or is it something else?
I won’t worry about the bbpress idea.
I’d like to display the content inside of the tab if possible but if that won’t work, the link will be great as well.
If I can pass template loops inside of the tab , that will work otherwise I’ll just use a link and build a different page. But ideally, I’d like the tab to be visible to group admins/mods only.
- This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Erich199.
- Brajesh Singh on November 15, 2015 at 1:12 am #1513
I will post the code today. It will need us to use Group extension API, so that will be like writing a small plugin. I will do that and update you here. Sorry about the delays.
- Brajesh Singh on November 15, 2015 at 7:38 am #1515
Here is the extension
It should go to the plugins directory. Please do take a look at the display function in group-extension.php file.
You can directly output content there or load from a file. I have tried to load it from groups/single/my-content.php
Hope that helps.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so very much.
I do have a fast question.
In the plugin, you said it might be easier to output the contents of a page/post?
I was thinking this might be a great way to build a page for the tab with visual composer and make building the page easier. How would I accomplish this?
Thanks again! Great plugin and hope others can use it.
- Brajesh Singh on November 16, 2015 at 7:49 am #1568
We need some way to connect a page/post to Group. Easy solution will be adding a meta box in the group admin page and allowing site admins to link a page to group.
We can store the page_id in meta and then while displaying fetch and show that content.
- Brajesh Singh on November 16, 2015 at 1:59 pm #1573
Do you mean linking one page to all groups or a page per group?
The topic ‘ [Resolved] Custom BP Groups Tab/Page’ is closed to new replies.