BuddyDev

Search

Get a cover image automatically for a video like YouTube

Tagged: ,

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Bjorn on #14561

Hi,

Is it possible to get a cover automatically from the uploaded video in MediaPress?
    The same as YouTube does.

regards,

Bjorn

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #14566

Hi Bjorn,
    Welcome to BuddyDev.

This is one of the features that we have been thinking for long but haven’t been able to dedicate to.

For a site to be able to do it, we will need to extract a video frame, save it as a an image and set as the cover object.

This needs a sophisticated software life ffmpeg and a proper queue management. Our goal is to have this functionality when we work on the transcoder for converting an uploaded video to web playable(h.264).

This is a bit complex project as our plan to to create a micro service for extracting/converting video and a php client for co-ordinating with the micro service.

It is going to take time. Atleast a few months before we will be able to present it.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Bjorn on #14591

Okay thank you. I hope it will come soon!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #14604

Thank you. We are working and hoping for the same.

• Participant
    Bjorn on #15942

Hello Brajesh,

Any update on this?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #15947

Hi Bjorn,
    Please allow me 10-15 more days. I am sorry that I haven’t been able to put anything yet on this.

• Participant
    Bjorn on #18015

Hello Brajesh,

Any update on this subject?

regards Bjorn

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18018

Hi Bjorn,
    Thank you.

It is not yet complete. I have released a plugin that makes all the videos playable
    https://buddydev.com/support/forums/topic/mov-format-video-not-playing/page/4/#post-17063

But I have yet to implement the cover extraction part. I am sorry but due to lack of time I am not sure when I will be able to put some time on this.

Extracting cover will need enhancement to our existing transcoder.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Kir on #19527

Hi there, just wondering whether this is planned in for the future?

It would be great to have this functionality, the basic cover showing on the video gallery renders this plugin impossible to use for me. It would be great even if the user could choose a header when they upload their vid (even if not poss to set up auto capture of frame of YouTube vid).

Look forwards to hearing from you
    Many thanks and all the best
    K

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19535

Hi Kir,
    Yes, It is coming in future. In 1.4 we added the remote video(Youtube etc) and now fetching cover from the remote services is on our list.

For the time being, a user can upload cover from edit video page(I am sorry, it is not very intuitive to ask users to upload from edit video page) .

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved