BuddyDev

Search

Get a cover image automatically for a video like YouTube

Tagged: ,

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Kir on #25029

Hi thank you,

Yes, the issue is if we upload a video via activity, it looks bad with the default image on the feed.

It would then have to continue to look bad up until the point where the profile owner then separately edits the already uploaded file, to add a thumbnail to it. It is a shame because this really impacts the user experience.

It would be better to be able to edit the thumb for the video before it was published via the activity, similar to the gallery upload, in order to manage that the video doesn’t have to be published without it first when the activity feed publisher is used for instance – is that a possibility?

Kind regards and thanks

• Participant
    Kir on #25030

Additionally it’s a bit clunky to get to the ‘edit’ function, having uploaded video from activity, as it stands. You would have to:

– Post video, not knowing anywhere from activity feed at this stage, that it is even an option within user experience to add video thumb (Could put ‘add thumb’ link on activity feed when uploading video, perhaps, if poss?)
    – Then be directed somehow to go to find the galleries, still not knowing you can add thumb
    – Then select the gallery to view, still not knowing you can edit the thumnb
    – Then edit chosen video, still not knowing at this stage you can edit the thumb within user experience
    – Then see option here to edit the thumb 🙂

Could it be good option to add option to upload thumb before publish video via activity?

Thank you

• Participant
    Kir on #25032

Something I else I noticed, when you visit the gallery and upload a video into an album/gallery there, like this:

https://www.my-website.com/my-bpress-user-name/gallery/my-galler-name/manage/add/?_wpnonce=356377f2aa&gallery_id=121

…and the items appear as you add them, (add media tab) – once you’ve finished adding images, you then have to navigate elsewhere to edit what you’ve uploaded, including the thumbs on the videos, so again you wouldn’t know your options as a user or where to find them .

If you were to go to the ‘edit’ section which you can see directly from the add media tab, you wouldn’t find what you need there either. (Could link to ‘view’ tab where you can edit videos/ add thumbs be added there too? I found it a little bit confusing).

Instead at this stage you would need to click ‘view’ tab first, and then when you find the video in that tab, where you would click ‘edit’ to edit the video title and thumb etc.

An idea, perhaps when the items first appear as you add them, there could be an ‘edit’ button (that takes you to the page that includes the option to change video thumb, at view > edit).

Or even just a note to say ‘edit your images and change the thumb nails in the ‘view’ tab.

I realise this element is a bit of a work in progress, I just hoped it might be helpful to share my case-based user feedback.

Kind thanks and looking forward to hearing your thoughts

• Participant
    Kir on #25033

Sorry, to add, just another note about my case –

Where you’re looking at your own or another users galleries, via the gallery tab, if you have the lightbox set up, when you click the gallery header image, a lightbox pops up showing all of the media in the gallery one by one, in a flick through slider which shows each single media file one at a time.

But just before you click that gallery header image, it says ‘VIEW’ underneath the gallery header image. If that said ‘VIEW ALL’ instead, under each gallery, it may make it clearer to a user that that’s a link that brings up an alternative view, showing the whole archive.

A user may be under the impression that the lightbox view is the only one they have and not bother to click that link, where instead they can better see the whole list of videos in archive view 🙂

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25034

Hi Kir,
    For video thumbnail, we have worked on automatic video thumbnail. You will need FFMPEG to use it though

https://buddydev.com/plugins/mpp-local-transcoder/

For the view button, Please use any translation tool.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Kir on #25040

Hi thanks for your reply,

Re the View All, yes point taken. Although, out of interest, is there a case where it would be better that it remain as solely ‘view’ all considered?

Yes I’ve seen the plugin – you need VPS to use FFMPEG so it’s limiting. The upload of a thumb that’s been included could actually work well, but – it’s not user-friendly.

I think it easily could be though, if the user were notified about the options available rather than them being buried in different tabs.

What are your views on the user experience discussed above?

The lack of info for a user when they upload a video (whether via activity or into the gallery), as to which options are available ie adding a thumb or changing the title to something fitting?

Thank you

Kind regards

• Participant
    Kir on #25328

Hi there – I’ve arrived at the point of having to decide whether it’s possible to use MediaPress or not, I’d really like to, but is it likely that some of the issues outlined above will be resolved?

Can I check, that I’m correct about the following:

– When uploading video by either timeline or gallery, the upload process has to complete (and the activity is shared) -before- there is any opportunity to add a thumbnail?

– Also there is no guidance yet for users within either timeline or gallery video upload form that it is an option to add a thumb, or where they should go to do it.

Am I correct with this? That’s how it seems on my install.

Wouldn’t it be more user friendly to just allow a user to select a thumbnail at upload point? Both in activity and gallery upload?

So that way the thumb has been added before the activity share is registered? And the user doesn’t have to search around for where to add it?

This form layout does seem to exist in your plugin already, but it isn’t used for first upload, instead to find that form you have to navigate to where you edit a video.

I’d be grateful to hear what you think?
    Thank you

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25338

Hi Kir,
    Thank you for the questions.

1. When uploading video by either timeline or gallery, the upload process has to complete (and the activity is shared) -before- there is any opportunity to add a thumbnail?

Yes, if you are adding the thumbnail manually. If automatic thumbnail generation is enabled via Transcoder plugin, then you do not need to do anything.

2. Also there is no guidance yet for users within either timeline or gallery video upload form that it is an option to add a thumb, or where they should go to do it.

It makes sense and I understand that proving a better ui is need of the time. This needs rewrite of our uploader and change in the behaviour. I am hoping to do that in future but not anytime soon.

MediaPress in its current state, may not be the suitable plugin if you are looking to upload thumbnails on upload.It is a great feature but we will need time to implement it.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Kir on #25347

Hi there, Ok thanks for your feedback. The use of the transcoder is limiting for anyone using shared servers, because it just isn’t possible to install what’s needed to run it unless you’re running on a VPS :(.

Regrettably I won’t be able to use it until the video upload interface makes more sense.

Thanks for coming back to me, I appreciate it, and I’ll look out in future for the re-write.
    All the best

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25355

Thank you Kir.
    I hope that when we add it in future, It will be of some use to you.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved