BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] MediaPress Audio

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Dale on #44256

I have problems with the Audio section, I create a Album and I upload some songs to that album but if a user clicks a album containing multiple songs then it plays automatically the first song in that album and only the first song. Unless a user clicks the album title instead of the album image otherwise they dont see the other songs in that album. Basically clicking the album image should only take the user to all the songs in that album so they can choose which song to play…

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #44274

Hi Dale,
    Welcome to BuddyDev.

Thank you for using MediaPress.

1. Are you using it with BuddyPress?
    2. Is it happening for User or group or sitewide galleries?
    3. which theme are you using(not important but may help us if you are using BuddyPress).

Please share the details and we will look into it.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Dale on #44302

Yes I am using Buddypress

This is what I am experiencing in a user gallery. At this time I have no Group Galleries yet but I think it would be no different.

There is no next song when I click the audio album cover. If I choose the audio album name and then a song, I can see a name of the next song on the lower right of the player.

Also there is no next or previous option when viewing photos a person has to use the arrow keys on a keyboard to advance.

Other notable issues or bugs: When uploading images or video from the activity area or the group area, by chance I discovered the hard way that I must include a description or the upload fails without a reason. And also if there are certain characters not allowed it again fails without reason.

I am using The BuddyX theme

• Participant
    Dale on #44303

Also would like to add when viewing a photo from the activity area, there is no exit of the photo, a person has to click the outside area of the image to go back to the page.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #44333

Hi Dale,
    Thank you for sharing the details.

We will need some time to look after it as we don’t use the BudddyX theme currently. I will probably hve some time mid next week to try the theme and this plugin. will be writing back after testing it.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Dale on #44343

Also would like to inform you that the transcoder plugin is not working very well, I would say about 50% time works and the rest of the time it does not complete a conversion and fails. The files are showing in history as error and I am informed by the server operator even though I delete them from the history, they are in the background still processing and loading the server down. Therefore he has to manually delete them from somewhere in the back end. I also had him check that he is running FFMPEG 4.2.2
    Thanks

• Participant
    Dale on #44351

I have now replaced the transcoder from BuddyDev with another one and this reduces all the server load from that process but I do not get a preview showing on the videos posted.
    Dale

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #44366

Hi Dale,
    Thank you for the replies.

The transcoding is a very resource intensive process and there is a huge prossobility that your server is killing the transcoder process. We encountered this issue recently with SiteGround server. It was solved by approaching siteground support.

Local transcoder is not suitable for large files or if your site has large number of users uploading videos. We have it specified as a note for the local transcoder plugin.

The best strategy for transcoding is to offloaded the processing. we are working on Elastic Trancoder support in future.

Regards
    Brajesh

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Brajesh Singh. Reason: updated
  • Participant
    Dale on #44370

As I have indicated in my previous post, the transcoder is moved to offsite of this server. As well I should not have issues as I am the only user uploading videos of under 50mb and using the mediapress transcoder would not work correctly and was bogging down the server even after I delete the uploads because in the background it would not stop trying even though it indicated it failed.
    So I tried a offsite transcoder and mediapress would not display the preview file and in fact the transcoder had to be manually invoked to create the preview file but it was very fast. To resolve the issue as I am not get answers – a friend changed some code in the site to have it pull the first frame of a video uploaded for display and this seems to work very well, well enough that I will not use a transcoder because it just is not working.

Moving forward, I have still need of resolution for the first problems I submitted on this ticket:

-Choosing a song by cover image only plays first song and does not show a title for next song.
    -A person must choose the music album by name to be able to choose a song and then when playing a song this way it shows the previous and next song option.
    -Choose a photo album by cover – also does not show a next or previous photo.
    -When viewing a photo a user must use left or right arrow keys to view other images.
    -When viewing images there is no obvious exit for a user – a person must click outside the image to exit the viewing.
    -If I upload a video with certain characters it fails without explanation why: EX ‘ ” ? !
    -If I upload a video or photo in the activity timeline without any characters, it again fails. I must at least have one character in the description.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #44381

Hi Dale,
    Thank you

I will be looking at your issue this week and testing with the specific theme .

As far as Transcoder is concerned, MediaPress simply invokes FFMPEG on your server with the uploaded media file and It is FFMPEG which is the real encoder/handling the transcoding. MediaPress simply manages invoking the transcoder, managing the queue(in database) and updating meta details on conversion.

All the FFMPEG jobs are run as background process and if you are on a Linux server, you can run ‘jobs’ from terminal to see any pending jobs. We only run a new FFMPEG process on video upload and we do not keep it running infinitely. It is one off process for each of the media. If it seems to be running continuously, Please approach the server support.

There are many reasons for a slow transcoder/high resource usage, I will leave the transcoder debugging aside as you are no longer using it.

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] MediaPress Audio’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved