BuddyDev

Search

Multisite Global terms

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Ro on #4222

I installed this plugin a while back but my site is now growing and I realized that this plugin might have an issue with my SEO in terms of shared categories. Anyway I want to remove it but when I just deactivate the plugin all the categories and menus disappear from the sub-sites but remain on the main site which makes sense. My problem is when I go to create a new menu in those sub sites it doesn’t work I get an error which says “Could not insert term into the database”. I don’t want to delete this plugin completely unless that is the solution, because I have a site with 100 plus sub sites.
    Can anyone here help me out coz am going crazy.
    Thanks
    Ro

• Participant
    Ro on #4226

Just to be clear when I deactivate this plugin, I get the above error when trying to add a menu on any of my sub sites, but when its activated there is no problem. My issue is not even with the menus I can live with that. I guess can I in some way prevent the sharing of all these categories across the multisite network.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #4227

Hi Ro,
    I need a little time to check the issue. In the meantime, I will assist with the last point.

1. You said you want to stop all categories across the multisite network. In that case, Can you please tell me for which purpose this plugin will be used?

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Ro on #4230

What I meant was It is the lessor of 2 evils. I would delete the plugin completely but is that will screw up my site and I lose some valuable abilities like the ability to create menus for my subsites then, I would rather just stop the categories. This is my problem with the categories by the way. If I have a category on the main site for example (business news) on the main site it will obviously have the permalink of (mainsite.com/business-news) which I want to rank for in google and have optimized it for SEO now because of the network wide action of this plugin the same category shows up on the sub site (subsite.mainsite.com/business-news) with the same optimized data. The only difference is obviously the link (mainsite vs subsite). My site has been SEO optimized and all my other data. i.e. pages and posts are getting rankings in google for the main site as well as subsites but not a single category page is getting ranked which I think probably has something to do with what it would seem to be duplicate content. I cant take the risk. For me SEO far outweighs the value of this plugin. so I need to remove it..
    Thanks

• Participant
    Ro on #4264

any updates??

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #4278

Hi Ro,
    Please give me today. I am thinking about some strategy.

• Participant
    Ro on #4292

OK Thanks

• Participant
    Ro on #4325

any luck??

• Participant
    Ro on #4372

?????

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #4388

Hi Ro,
    I am sorry I got stuck and this plugin needed me to have a multisite install to test.

I have tested it finally and I know why the problem is happening and the solutions.

When you network activate this plugin, It changes the terms table name on the current blog to use main site’s table.

The problem is when you create a new blog when this plugin is active, WordPress will find the terms table existing and will not create it for the new blog.

Now when you deactivate this plugin, the blog that was created when this plugin was active won’t have the terms table.

So, you are not able to create terms there.
    Solution:- We can simply recreate the table. It is easy. All you need to know is the blog id( You can find it from NetworkAdmin->Sites page.

Do you have access to PhpMyAdmin?

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved