I’m currently using Blog Categories for Groups (together with BP Simple Front End Post) to allow users to create posts from within a group. This works really well, however, I have a few queries as follows –
1. Since creating a post within a group automatically generates the postmeta (_bcg_group_id) which links it to a specific group, is there actually any reason why it’s necessary to assign categories to a group? It would certainly streamline the process if it wasn’t necessary to select specific categories to be used with a specific group. (Note: I do appreciate the answer to this may well be simply “because that’s the way it was originally designed to work”, in which case, please feel free to ignore this query 😉 )
2. I note (with great interest) that you’re currently working on including groups functionality for BuddyBlog Pro. Do you intend that this would allow users to create posts from within the groups themselves or will they still need to create posts from their profiles (and select which group they want the posts to appear in)?
3. Do you think BuddyBlog Pro could handle creation of an event custom post type (as generated by The Events Calendar plugin – for example), if the necessary fields were mapped correctly?
With many thanks in advance.
Thank you for the question.
1. You are quite right. This was how the plugin was originally designed(please see the name).
2. Yes, and this is coming within next 2 weeks hopefully(at least the beta). People will be able to create posts from their groups.
3. I am not sure about this. The problem is field type availability. We have limited set of field types available currently which may not be mapped(for example Map/Geo ) correctly to the corresponding field of the events plugin.
If you are interested, please help us list the missing field type and we will love to have them available for BuddyBlog Pro.
Thank you for getting back to me.
1. Sorry yes… point taken.
2. That’s great news! I’m currently working on a site that focuses almost entirely on various custom post types being posted in groups not profiles, and as you’re probably aware, there are very few (if any) that take this approach. I’ve been attempting to adapt existing plugins but it’s a slow process so your plugin sounds as if it may be exactly what I’ve been hoping fo and save me a lot of time.
If you need any beta testers, I’d be very grateful to be considered (especially as I already have some idea of the challenges involved.)
3. What you say makes sense. I’d be very happy to test with both “The Events Calendar” and “Events Manager” plugins to see what field types might be missing.
Would I be right in thinking the post in groups feature will be part of BuddyBlog Pro and therefore will require purchase of the same?
I’m currently only using Blog Categories for Groups together with BP Simple Front End Post (becasuse I don’t actually need members to be able to post from their own profiles) but if the above is true then I’ll go ahead and purchase anway so that I can start testing the general concept (as well as field types for events etc).
You are right. We will be releasing it as an addon of BuddyBlog Pro(will be available freely with BuddyBlog Pro).
I am not sure if this is the right time for you to purchase as we expect the beta to be available in next 2 weeks for the Group blogging part.
If you feel comfortable with the schedule, Please go ahead.
I notice that there was an update to the BuddyBlog Pro plugin on Friday and was just wondering whether by any chance that included the new groups features or whether I need to be patient and wait a bit longer? 😉
As mentioned above, I’d be very happy to test any beta version of the groups options if/when it’s available.
With many thanks in advance and will look forward to hearing from you.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.