BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Posting in groups

• Participant
    Level: Master
    NikB on #45797

Hi Brajesh

I’m currently using Blog Categories for Groups (together with BP Simple Front End Post) to allow users to create posts from within a group. This works really well, however, I have a few queries as follows –

1. Since creating a post within a group automatically generates the postmeta (_bcg_group_id) which links it to a specific group, is there actually any reason why it’s necessary to assign categories to a group? It would certainly streamline the process if it wasn’t necessary to select specific categories to be used with a specific group. (Note: I do appreciate the answer to this may well be simply “because that’s the way it was originally designed to work”, in which case, please feel free to ignore this query 😉 )

2. I note (with great interest) that you’re currently working on including groups functionality for BuddyBlog Pro. Do you intend that this would allow users to create posts from within the groups themselves or will they still need to create posts from their profiles (and select which group they want the posts to appear in)?

3. Do you think BuddyBlog Pro could handle creation of an event custom post type (as generated by The Events Calendar plugin – for example), if the necessary fields were mapped correctly?

With many thanks in advance.
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45806

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for the question.

1. You are quite right. This was how the plugin was originally designed(please see the name).

2. Yes, and this is coming within next 2 weeks hopefully(at least the beta). People will be able to create posts from their groups.

3. I am not sure about this. The problem is field type availability. We have limited set of field types available currently which may not be mapped(for example Map/Geo ) correctly to the corresponding field of the events plugin.

If you are interested, please help us list the missing field type and we will love to have them available for BuddyBlog Pro.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #45809

Hi Brajesh

Thank you for getting back to me.

1. Sorry yes… point taken.

2. That’s great news! I’m currently working on a site that focuses almost entirely on various custom post types being posted in groups not profiles, and as you’re probably aware, there are very few (if any) that take this approach. I’ve been attempting to adapt existing plugins but it’s a slow process so your plugin sounds as if it may be exactly what I’ve been hoping fo and save me a lot of time.

If you need any beta testers, I’d be very grateful to be considered (especially as I already have some idea of the challenges involved.)

3. What you say makes sense. I’d be very happy to test with both “The Events Calendar” and “Events Manager” plugins to see what field types might be missing.

Regards
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45812

Hi Nik,

1. no problem.

2. Thank you. I will certainly reach out to you early.

3. Thank you

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #45815

Hi Brajesh

Would I be right in thinking the post in groups feature will be part of BuddyBlog Pro and therefore will require purchase of the same?

I’m currently only using Blog Categories for Groups together with BP Simple Front End Post (becasuse I don’t actually need members to be able to post from their own profiles) but if the above is true then I’ll go ahead and purchase anway so that I can start testing the general concept (as well as field types for events etc).

Warm regards
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45824

Hi Nik,

You are right. We will be releasing it as an addon of BuddyBlog Pro(will be available freely with BuddyBlog Pro).

I am not sure if this is the right time for you to purchase as we expect the beta to be available in next 2 weeks for the Group blogging part.

If you feel comfortable with the schedule, Please go ahead.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #45826

Hi Brajesh

Thank you for your honesty… I have a few other tasks which need sorting in the meantime so will see how I get on.

Is there anywhere in particular that I should out for an announcement when the beta version is ready/available?

Regards
    Nik

• Participant
    NikB on #45893

Hi Brajesh

I notice that there was an update to the BuddyBlog Pro plugin on Friday and was just wondering whether by any chance that included the new groups features or whether I need to be patient and wait a bit longer? 😉

As mentioned above, I’d be very happy to test any beta version of the groups options if/when it’s available.

With many thanks in advance and will look forward to hearing from you.
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45895

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for the reply. It was a minor update.

Please allow us a week. The development is in full swing with @ravisharma leading the efforts. We will have it available early next week for beta/release.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #45898

Many thanks Brajesh and apologies for being so impatient 😉

Wishing you and @ravisharma all the very best with the development and I’ll look forward to hearing news of the beta/release in due course.

Warm regards
    Nik

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Posting in groups’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved