BuddyDev

Search

Randomize Activity Feed

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Roni Gabriel on #34558

Not sure if there is a snippet code to make this happen, but if not maybe you can help me.

Scenario: On the activity feed when a user posts 10 posts in a row, it shows up just that way. This can be discouraging for other users who don’t desire to see all 10 posts in a row on the activity feed, just to get to the next friends post.

Is it possible to make the activity feed more random and spread out the 10 posts randomly throughout the feed?

Make sense? I think it sounds like a great feature, as I believe this is how Facebook works.

Please let me know if this is possible with a code snippet and can you provide it?

Thank you very much.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #34587

Hi Roni,Thank you for the question.

This is not feasible with current BuddyPress setup. Facebook has a massive infrastructure for calculating feed on demand which is not feasible with the basic mysql used by BuddyPress.

If you need it, you will most probably need to write your own feed/stream builder using some kind of pub/sub system on top of database.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Herimanana on #44341

Hello !
    how about now ?

Cordialy

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #44360

Hi Herimanana,
    Welcome to the BuddyDev support forums.

I don’t see any proper way to do it.

You may randomize but then you will need to track that the same activities should not be shown repeatedly on load more. Also, if the randomness is enabled, you may want to maintain the freshness of the stream somehow. This is doable but we don’t have enough resource or interest in it in currently.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved