BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Repeated & Duplicated fields

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Vivek Mathur on #22184

Hi,

1. Do you have any plugin which enables repeated field groups for exprofile fields so say 3-4 fields with “Add another …” ?
    2. If i have 2 field groups in xprofiles, say Group 1 to be filled by one type of users and Group 2 to be filled by another type, but some common fields eg PHONE. This has to be one field and not Phone Group1 and Phone Group 2, but i need to see the field on both profile tabs – any easy way to achieve this?

thanks,
    vivek

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22187

Hi Vivek,
    Thank you for the question.

1. No, we don’t have repeater field group.
    2. How are you managing only one group visible to the user? As far as I see BuddyPress does not have this functionality built in.

If you can help me understand point 2, I may be able to assist further.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Vivek Mathur on #22190

Thanks for the reply, Brajesh.

No I wish i could manage visibility of one group- but i cant 🙂 so im showing both groups, with their names indicating which type each group is for, and leaving it to their goodness to fill the correct one – but i really dont want them to go into the otehr groups tab to fill in the phone number.

thanks,
    Vivek

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22204

Hi Vivek,
    Thank you for clarifying.

I think a better way will be to mar fields available to certain member types and let users select their member type on registration.

That way, BuddyPress will only list fields applicable to user’s member type.

If you use this approach, you can use a basic profile field group and another with all the relevant details for both the user types.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Vivek Mathur on #22222

Hi Brajesh, i would do that but my member types are not selected on registration but will be updated later by admin/script based on the details provided in the xprofile – ie the ‘member types’ as defined in my MTP pro would be more granular than the 2 field groups, and hence based on additional info in the field groups.
    So am looking for a way to replicate the field in both groups.
    thanks,
    Vivek

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22224

Hi Vivek,
    Thank you for clarifying.

I am not sure of the right way to do it. It is possible to force BuddyPress to show a field in both group but the effort does not seem justified and will need a lot of testing.

Creating 2 fields and syncing data from 1 to another is another possibility too. That way, since the values will be same, you can use search on any of these. It will still need filtering out field id on profile view.

Another approach will be to create a basic tab with number/name etc and then use the other 2 tabs for specific things.

If you want to go with second approach, Please do let me know.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Vivek Mathur on #22295

Thanks, Brajesh- i think right now will go with the easy option of creating another tab and putting mobile number in that. Later may look at a more elegant solution if this doesnt work well. thanks!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22299

Seems like a good strategy. All the best 🙂

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved