Hi – So, I have installed Member Types, on to a site that already has i) Buddypress/bbpress and ii) Membership2 Pro installed (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/).
It was proving problematic to easily assign WP Roles to Member levels, hence I have opted for Member Types, and my set up questions are:
1) The Registration pages are enabled for Membership2, to sign you up to eg Site Visitor membership level etc. I want to use Member Types for this primary registration > Role assignment, so should these pages be re-configured?
2) I’ve defined a Member Type ‘Keynote Author’, primarily for purposes of Blogging, so have associated the WP Author role. What methods are available for providing access to this level, for example can I send invites / vouchers etc.?
Couple additional questions on same:
1) How do I manually assign a Member Type to a user?
2) Can I link group membership to Member Type provisioning, ie if I send you an invite to group ‘Keynote Authors’, when you accept and join that group, the Type is automatically upgraded and assigned?
Ok thanks. But also please also consider it without Membership2 as the main requirement, I can deactivate it for the moment if needs be.
My primary goal is to get Member Types basic provisioning, eg Keynote Authors, via an invite, up and running first.
So help with basic set up of Member Types for this too please.
So to speed things along, I have deactivated Membership2 for the time being, I will integrate that or a.n.other membership system later.
My first goal is to get the basic Member Type workflows established. I have reverted the Registration page to the Buddypress standard.
How can I start adding workflows for applying for/approving Member Types now?
1. Since you are using the BuddyPress registration, Please add an xprofile field with “Member Type” field type. There you can include/exclude allowed member types
2. You will map a member type to role on the member types edit page
3. When the user registers, the transition should happen.
4. You can associate one or more groups to a member type. At the moment, when you change or users change their member type(if allowed), They will be assigned to these groups. What you are looking is most probably the reverse of it, I am sorry but the plugin does not allow that.
Also, If it is feasible, please do let me know in details about your requirement.
Member Type plugin is a great fit to allow you categorise users and later filter them, create some kind of pipeline for role/group assignment and get these things done based on memberships(we support Woo Memberships to member type in 1.1.4).
I am not sure if this plugin is the right fit for your need. If you can provide more details, I may be able to suggest/help better.
PS. To manually assign a user to a member type, please visit Users and check the user and then select the member type from drop down to assign them.
I think my requirements are right, as they are literally I simply need a Member Type system, primarily for regulating WP Roles. Ie [Students] can access Learnpress modules through WP Student role.
Ideally there will be various workflows for managing Member Type assignment (invites, vouchers, group-activations etc.), and I appreciate I may be more demanding in this regard, however that’s my core requirement and at this stage simple workflows are fine, eg assigning from Users section.
I would imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to build a custom Registration form, one pre-programmed with the Member Type, eg Keynote Author. So I could then send that page as an invite to potential Authors etc.
My apologies for the delayed reply. I have been planning a solution for the scenario.
Will it be feasible if the same BuddyPress Registration form allowed registering all users? You can send the users a registration form like
Or we can allow you to add some unique ids(any random hash) for each member type and pass that here.
As I see, you don’t want your new users to select their member type manually. It should be prefilled based on the url.
In that case, we can use a strategy to achieve it.
No worries I’m not in any rush, and I want to get the signup/membership processes exactly right, so happy to spend time brainstorming.
I’m thinking combining it with other plugins is a good idea. for example I just bought this one:
So we could combine an Invitation Code with a Member Type.
I have looked at the plugin page now. I don’t see any developer documentation. I need to know any action they fire on registration/activation and how to access the invite key there.
Once it is done, we can simply copy a generated invite code and associated with the member type and when the user register/activates, can set the transition.
Can you please check with the developers and see if they can point to the hook.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.