BuddyDev

Search

Suggestions widget (Friends and Groups) to have theme default option

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Rami Awad on #32055

Hello Awesome BuddyDev Team 🙂

1- Can we make the friend suggestions and groups suggestions plugins have the same option to inherit theme default visibility as featured members and featured groups plugin? (Display view: Theme default)

2- Can I remove the group description from featured groups widget? it makes the widget too big!

3- They show the suggestions of friends and groups even after the user joins the group and add the user as a friend.

4- Are you going to include any other options for suggestions? based on profile XProfile fields, Like interests (If you are willing I can suggest convenient ways to suggest if you want me too 🙂

Thanks

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #32064

Hi Ravi,
    Thank you for the suggestions.

1. We will look into it. I am assuming that it should be doable. The problem is with the ignore button and dealing with multiple template packs.

2. Please allow us till Tuesday to release an update if it is not already there in the options

3. Do you have some kind of caching enabled?

4. We did it for Friend suggestions for a client and it is not scalable. Current xprofile meta query does not scale. If we add it, it is bound to take down sites and that is the reason, we haven’t released anything in public.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Rami Awad on #32074

Hi Brajesh, thank you for your update.

1- This is a screen shot for the 4 widgets on Buddyboss theme, when I select theme defaults view, it inherits but things are out of place a little (tried on several sites)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oUe-HERdIlhW3tgoG8wNzUzsnoGpi1JO/view?usp=sharing

2- Featured group: white space instead of description

3- Cashing is driving me crazy I tried alot of plugins and I use cloudflare, any suggestions please? what is the tried methods that worked? may be we should have a topic about cashing and object cashing specifically

4- For Group suggestions I believe we can make checkboxes as xprofile fields of the groups types available as interests and we can suggest the groups of the types that the user is interested in (I am not sure what “Doesnt scale means”

Thanks

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #32091

Hi Rami,
    Thank you for the reply and the screenshot.

1. Since it is not possible for us to include support for all the themes in a plugin, I will suggest asking theme developers to support it. They can include a few line of css to support the widget easily. If you want, I can supply the css for BuddyBoss theme for now.

2. Same as above. We are providing a basic functionality and we expect that theme authors will support it.

3. For BuddyPress, we have used the redis object cache successfully
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/redis-cache/

I will suggest asking BuddyBoss for it. They are the platform developer and will have better idea on what works with it.

4. Group Suggestions:- I am sorry but it is beyond our current goals for the plugin. I will be reconsidering it in future. For now, requiring site owners t setup profile field and then asking them to correctly setup a dropdown/checkbox with the Group type values is way too complicated for most users.
    It will be nice if there was a group type profile field available. In that case, it would have been less error prone.

By scaling I mean if you have 20,000 users and you are using xprofile meta query on 8 fields, your database will hang and kill the site.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Rami Awad on #32092

Hi Brajesh,
    Thank you so much for your detailed message and support.

1 and 2: Yes supplying the css for buddyboss theme would be great, waiting for it 🙂

3: Thanks, will try it

4: Got your point, your are right 🙂 wondering how Facebook does it!

Regards.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #32125

Hi Rami,
    Thank you.

I will supply the css within next 2 days.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #32866

Hi Rami,
    I am sorry, I forgot to update you.

We released BuddyPress Friends Suggestions Pro which works properly with BuddyBoss
    https://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-friends-suggestions-pro/

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Rami Awad on #32879

Hi Brajesh,

Yes got it few days ago, thank you, it’s very good. Now I can add an “interests” multiselect profile field and suggest based on mutual interests.

The old one suggests FOAF. I think to suggest friend of a friend is a must have basic suggestion also, dont you think so?

Regards.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #32887

Hi Rami,
    Thank you for the reply.

We are planning to bring FOAF as an option(selectable where you can select the ruleset currently).

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved