BuddyDev

Search

Using BP Block Users plugin with wpDiscuz, BuddyPress plugins

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    CA News Forum on #51692

Hello:

Our news forum WordPress site uses wpDiscuz as the comment platform, with the BuddyPress plugin to add profile functionality for our members and the wpDiscuz BuddyPress Integration plugin to tie the two together.

We’ve been seeing too many conflicts between members lately and we’re looking for a solution that will allow members to block those they don’t get along with. I found your Block Users plugin as well as BuddyPress Block Members plugin from another developer. My question to that other developer went out first and they have not yet responded, so I thought I’d try here.

Does your Block Users plugin integrate with the setup I’ve described in my first paragraph? I just want to make sure that we don’t have to have an actual BuddyPress website to gain this functionality before I break out my credit card and place an order.

I don’t know why this logical feature isn’t included in the BuddyPress plugin itself (unless it does and somehow I’ve simply overlooked it). But if one additional plugin will do the trick then I’m all for sending some business your way. My second question is, for the $29 purchase price do we get perpetual updates or does that cover updates for one year or some other arbitrary period?

Hoping for positive answers and thanks for your time. I hope it’s okay that I’m posting this query in your General Discussion area.

Cheers,

D.M. @ CA News Forum

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #51693

Hi,
    Welcome to BuddyDev support forums.

Thank you for your question and your interest in the plugin.

Our plugin has no integration with wpDiscuz at the moment. If a user blocks another user, they will still be visible in wpDiscuz comment section.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    CA News Forum on #51695

Hi Brajesh, so if the comments are still visible then a blocked user can still respond to comments posted by the blocker user?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #51696

Hi,
    In the BuddyPress activity stream, they are hidden. If you are using wpDiscuzz, they will not be hidden in the wpDiscuzz discussion section.

I don’t think this plugin will work for your use case.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    CA News Forum on #51701

Okay, thank you. Any chance you may one day add in compatibility for wpDiscuz?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #51706

Hi,
    Please allow us to look into the wpDiscuz code and get back to you by Tuesday. I will let you know if it is doable and whether we will have a timeline for it or not?

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    CA News Forum on #51713

Thanks, I’ll watch for your response.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #51741

Hi,
    Thank you for your patience.

There is a possibility of adding limited support as wpDiscuzz is using WordPress comments internally.

We can exclude the blocked users when a comment list is being fetched and the user will not see comments from the users they block.

There are 2 issues though:-

1. It will lead to a broken experience for comment(e.g missing context in threaded comments)
    2. I am not sure how the wpDiscuzz BuddyPress integration will behave as that is a paid plugin.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    CA News Forum on #51750

Hi Brajesh:

You mention that comments from blocked users will not be seen by the user… is that only the user who is the blocker or all users? Is that the ‘broken experience’ you refer to in issue #1? Our members don’t have access to the admin area, so they only see comments that show on individual discussion pages or which they receive notifications about.

#2 BuddyPress Integration allows us to determine which profile sub-tabs are visible under Discussions, choosing from Comments, Subscriptions, Reactions, Rates, Votes, Following and Followers. It allows us to customize the names of those tabs and to customize certain activity notification messages. It also allows us to enable or disable certain notification options and text.

Cheers,

D.M.

• Participant
    CA News Forum on #51823

Hi Brajesh:

I’m just following up on my post above. Would it be helpful if I reach out to wpDiscuz to see if they will allow you to use the BuddyPress Integration addon to see if your plugin can be modified to work on wpD comments?

Cheers,

D.M.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved