BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Assign additional Member Type per role but keep existing ones in separate field

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22114

Hi Philip,
    Thank you.

I am sorry, there are no filters currently. I will add one and push an update in next 2-3 hours(or early) and post here. That will allow to redirect to group activities.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22115

Hi Phillip,
    Please upgrade to Group Activities notifier 1.0.5 and you can put this in your bp-custom.php

/**
     * Filter notification permalink to group activity.
     * @param string $permalink permalink.
     * @param int    $group_id group id.
     * @return string
     */
    function buddydev_custom_group_notification_permalink( $permalink, $group_id ) {
    	$group = groups_get_group( array( 'group_id' => $group_id ) );

return bp_get_group_permalink( $group );
    }

add_filter( 'bp_local_group_notifier_notification_activity_permalink', 'buddydev_custom_group_notification_permalink', 10, 2 );

That will work.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Philip Strothmann on #22116

Dear Brajesh,

perfect, works like a charm 🙂 Thanks so much, highly appreciated! Looking forward to the update on Member Types Pro then 😉

Kind regards, Philip

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22122

Thank you Philip.
    I am glad it worked.

I am a bit uneasy with releasing member types pro yet. The new changes complete change the way we used to sync fields/member types.

I am going to test a bit more(specially with updation of field with non related member type). Will post early tomorrow.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22137

Hi Philip,
    Thank you for the patience.

Please upgrade to 1.3.1 and let me know if it works as expected or not?
    https://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-member-types-pro/

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Philip Strothmann on #22149

Dear Brajesh,

awesome, works exactly like I need it. Thanks so much, highly appreciated! 🙂

FYI: Obviously the link between user role & member type works only if the profile is resaved or changed. So I added the member type I needed batch wise to my users. The member types were then correctly assigned, however didn’t appear for all users on the frontend. Turns out I had to resave all profiles where a value for the other member type field (in my case background) had already been set. That was a bit of manual work, but now it works fine 🙂

Kind regards, Philip

• Participant
    Philip Strothmann on #22150

Dear Brajesh,

I did some more testing and the behavior described above is actually causing a bigger problem than I thought initially. In the backend everything is set as it should, and if I trigger routines that change e.g. the user role, the member type changes as it should. So that’s all great!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work equally well on the frontend. When I register a new user, the backend process runs and the correct member type is assigned. However, for some reason it is not shown on the frontend in the profile. The member type field simply doesn’t appear, regardless of how I set the visibility / ability for users to change it.

It only starts showing on the frontend once the user resaves the profile and only, if the setting is set to enable users to change the field in the first place. That’s a bit defeating the purpose, because a) I don’t want to enable the user to change the member type, as it should be set based on the role and b) the idea is that it becomes visible automatically, regardless of whether the user updates the profile again or not.

I truly appreciate your effort in getting us thus far, if you could address this final issue, I’d be really really happy!

Thanks so much in advance.

Kind regards, Philip

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22151

Hi Philip,
    I am sorry, that is not the expected behaviour.

Please share a screenshot to show it in action. Have you let the member type field be available to all member types?

Also, are you using any conditional fields etc?

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Philip Strothmann on #22152

Dear Brajesh,

the screenshot of the profile would just show you quite literally an empty profile. Please find the screenshot from the settings here: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAInBuNW9YlLx5GOafZVmLsmAtoFtsaVaMUB/image.png

I’m not using any conditional fields, but something just crossed my mind: The member type field that is meant to be set based on user role is part of the extended profile in my setup, not of the basic profile which is filled out during registration – because it should be set automatically based on the role and not be the user. Maybe that is contributing to the issue?

Kind regards, Philip

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #22153

Hi Philip,
    Thank you for the details.

At the time of registration, we do no propagate field updates from member type(It is assumed that fields will update member type on registration and not the other way around).

Please move it to the first field group and it will work.
    Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Assign additional Member Type per role but keep existing ones in separate field’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved