BuddyDev

Search

Bring Instagram to BuddyPress

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Graham Hoffman on #9487

What’s the chances you could bring an instagram feel to BuddyPress?

We already have MediaPress – so it’s a case of building on top of that to give it the look and feel.

Take a photo, add a filter, comment (#tags) and have it upload to the sitewide gallery.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9498

Hi Graham,
    Thank you for posting.

Do you mean creating something similar with filters etc or importing from the instagram site?
    The first case is already in our plans 🙂

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Graham Hoffman on #9510

Brajesh, the 1st case! Good to see it’s already being thought about.

• Participant
    Graham Hoffman on #12303

Hey Brajesh, any news on this?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #12323

Hi Graham,
    I am sorry I did not keep a track of this.
    Somehow, We recently started working on it.

@ravisharma
    is leading this project at the moment.

We are hoping to put it anytime from 16th December-25th December.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Graham Hoffman on #12356

@ravisharma – what’s your thoughts on this so far, how are you approaching it? I’d love to see some early concepts rather than just releasing the plugin outright. Who knows, someone might have some suggestions.

• Participant
    Level: Master
    smart life on #12372

@ravisharma why is not you search for a plugin? I saw few of them free in wordpress as a widget.

• Participant
    Graham Hoffman on #12401

@smart life – we’re not talking about feeding your IG feed into WordPress, but using MediaPress or Gallery input by your BuddyPress members, adding a filter and then putting it into a page for other community members to browse through.

Filling BuddyPress with Instagram features.

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #12402

Hi Graham,

Thank you.
    Here is my strategy.

1. On media edit page where we apply the effects, I am generating client-side preview using CamanJs. It uses canvas to show the instant client-side preview.
    2. Once a user applies an effect, we get the details of the effect and on the server side we apply the same effect via PHP on the original image and regenerate the various media sizes.
    We also keep a backup of the original image to make sure that we can revert back or let the user apply other effects in future.

Please do let me know your suggestions.
    Thank you
    Ravi

• Participant
    Graham Hoffman on #12453

That sounds good. I’ve been looking at the ‘Life of Dad’ app recently, they’re using AppPresser and WordPress/BuddyPress so it’s a good source of inspiration.

Now, I know you’re not specifically doing a plugin for mobile. But that’s really where I see this being used effectively.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmjdmov8wogan5y/Image%20uploaded%20from%20iOS.png?dl=1

So we’d need a shortcode to have the camera/page. With filters, ideally reading from a folder where we could add additional filters down the line (think seasonal) – perhaps dropping them into a /plugin/filters folder.

Then of course the gallery – sitewide on BuddyPress using MediaPress.

Perhaps enable geolocation on the photo location?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved