Hos to make the registration process more user friendly

• Participant
    Level: Master
    evillizard on #19250
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Graham Hoffman on #19253

Just to add to this, I also find it a pain with the usernames but had to accept it.

Considering most my users already ‘sign in’ with their email address. It does seem confusing – however I’ve just gotten use to it.

There is a plugin called BP-Messages, which entirely replaces the stock message system within BuddyPress. This allows a more ‘FB Messenger’ styled window, including the removal of the Subject line.

Maybe that will help you.

• Participant
    Level: Yogi
    calu on #19254

Hi Graham, thanks for your comment. I know Better Messages, and I also like the simplicity of it, opposite the BP standard messages, with to many options, which the users don’t need, and which has a terrible UI.

The problem with Better Messages is, that it is not just a design improvement, but it substitutes the standard BP component. So other third part messages plugins working with the BP component, won’t work with BM.

I really would like to se a plugin, which improved the design like BM, and gave the administrator options for turning off things like ‘Subject’ I know it is a mandatory thing, but can be solved with autofill, Star marked conversation, what do we need this for?, and the schroll bar in the message list, which mess op the design, and is not working well on mobile. And the ‘Active conversation’ in Nouveau, which I do not understand. If there should be an active conversation it should be a pop up window, not below the message list. Lets get rid of that too.

Another plugin called BuddyProfileMessageUX also have a a desirable feature:

The default behavior for the private message button is to take you to your own profile – to compose and send messages from there. Why? Why not stay on the profile page you are viewing? This is wat the plugin does.

There really is an opportunity here for making a great plugin most BP users want, maybe something for BuddyDev? 😉

Regards
    Carsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19255

Hi @evillizard , Graham,

Thank you for sharing the ideas.

Yes, It is possible to not ask users for a user name and auto-generate it for them transparently. I will add this use case in my tutorial too today.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Master
    evillizard on #19256

just make a plugin for it boss.. for novice like me who dont know how to use editor or function.php … please just make a simple plugin to remove usernames (or assign default random hidden and transparent username like you said).. and keep only email anything..just make the username field disappear from the registration page

and allow the plugin to remove confirm password field too .. to make registration page as small as possible

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by evillizard.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by evillizard.
  • Participant
    calu on #19259
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19285
  • Participant
    calu on #19315
  • Participant
    calu on #19316
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19317

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved