BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] How to synchronize Woocommerce Membership Levels with Buddypress Groups

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18184

Hi Rudolf,
    Thank you for purchasing the plugin.

You are correct about automatic assignment of the groups. The plugin can do it based on the membership level.

To configure it:-
    1. While creating a member type, add groups. Check the sync button to remove users from non member type groups when their membertype changes.

2. Please visit WooCommerce->Memberships screen and open Plan tab as shown below
    https://i.imgur.com/BWf3zxo.png

3. Please edit plan and at the bottom, you will see a member type option as shown below
    https://i.imgur.com/xn0SC8e.png

Check the member type(or multiple types, I suggest using single as they are better supported across BuddyPress UI)

4. Save.

Now, we have created a pipeline. When a user gets assigned the membership level, their member type changes and the change in member type changes their assigned groups(adds/removes to/from groups).

Note:- It only works for newer purchases after the setup. For users with existing membership level, it won’t do anything. The action get triggers only when a new membership level changes.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Rudolf Wagner on #18203

Hi Brajesh,

Thanks for the fast answer.
    I was missing step Nr. 2 the option on the WooCommerce Membership Plan.
    Is it right that I have to change the member type of existing members manually and this would add them to the assigned group automatically?

There’s only one step in this setup that I am not sure about.
    When I want to associate a Buddypress Group to a member type the field that I should insert the name of the group looks like it would search for existing names but nothing comes up. I am also unsure if I should put the name or the slug of that group in that field.

My BP group name is:
    MLT Club Members

and my slug is:
    mlt-club-members

I tried both but none of it shows up when I type the first letters in but it seems to be searching for existing names and doesn’t find any. What do I have to put into this field?

Regards
    Rudolf

• Participant
    Rudolf Wagner on #18204

I wanted to test all the steps just to find out that the first step doesn’t work.
    I tried to assign users to a member type on the all users page.
    It looked as if it was working but did not.
    The shortcode of the member type shows no result.
    (by the way, is there any other way to list users that belong to a member type than a shortcode?)

I tried the other option with creating a x-tra field for member type in the profile.
    I can choose the member type from the drop down menu and it remembers the setting after saving and refreshing the page but the shortcode still shows no result.

And as I said before it also doesn’t find any BP Groups in the settings of the member type.

Something very basic doesn’t work here I think.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18205

Hi Rudolf,
    I am sorry for the inconvenience. Here are the answers and some suggestions.

Is it right that I have to change the member type of existing members manually and this would add them to the assigned group automatically?

Yes.

I wanted to test all the steps just to find out that the first step doesn’t work.

I am sorry, can you please tell me the issue? Is it that you are unable to associate group with member types? If that is the case, can you please type a few letters and see it is suggesting?

If it is not suggesting, There are two possible reasons. Does your site restricts access? It might be blocking the ajax call. Or do you have any kind of group filtering using code/plugin enabled?

I tried to assign users to a member type on the all users page.
    It looked as if it was working but did not.

What happened? After refresh, did you see the member type column having the member type or not? Are you on multisite or normal WordPress?

Please remove the xprofile field if you don’t need it. It is only needed if you want to let users choose their member type.

Yes, There are other ways to list users. I have a question though. Are you filtering your member list using any code or plugin?

If you want, I can setup the plugin on the site for you and you can take it from there. In that case, I will need temporary access to the admin.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Rudolf Wagner on #18231

> I am sorry, can you please tell me the issue? Is it that you are unable to associate group with member types? If that is the case, can you please type a few letters and see it is suggesting?

When I set the cursor in the group name field and type a few letters I can see it spinning but no suggestions are coming up.

> What happened? After refresh, did you see the member type column having the member type or not?

I did not see the column because of a plugin (admin columns). Sorry, my fault. Now I see them and they show the correct member type. So that works.

> Are you on multisite or normal WordPress?
    normal

So it looks as if the only thing not working is selecting a group. I am not using any filter I am aware of. In fact I have a website with Bbpress and not yet implemented Buddypress. I am still testing it all on my staging site to find out if and how it all works together.

Maybe I might not even need groups in Buddypress because that makes other things quite complicated like the connection to forums. All I want is showing members that subscribed to a Membership plan (with Woocommerce Memberships) all of the members. I think I can do that with Member-types better than with groups because I found out that even my theme has all kinds of short-codes for showing members of specific member-types on a page.

I tried to find information about the use of Buddypress member-types versus groups but was not very successful.
    As you seem to be very familiar with Buddypress could you give me some short advice of when to use member-types and when to use groups?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18241

Hi Rudolf,
    Thank you.

About Group Suggestion:- Most probably something is restricting it. I am guessing either an access restriction plugin or a filter.

Member Types vs Groups.

Member types allows you a way to classify members(like categorizing members).

Groups:- Even though groups can be used to segment users, its primary purpose is to encourage discussion among members. It is like creating smaller communities inside your community.

Member types does not facilitate any special way to communicate among the users sharing same member type. All it does is helps with segmentation.

If your goal is to list the subscribed members only, You don’t need group. You can achieve it with the member listing shortcode and member types.

If you want to allow discussion in small communities, groups are best suited for it.

Groups and member types are not mutually exclusive. You can use them together.

Hope that helps.

PS:- About the issue with group selection, if you are comfortable with it, Please share me a temporary admin credential(I need atmost 30 minutes access) and I can check the issue and help you resolve it.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Rudolf Wagner on #18242
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18246

Thank you. I am on it. Please allow me 15 to 30 mins.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18247

Hi Rudolf,
    Thank you for the patience.

Since BuddyPress and member types pr were inactive, I have re-enebaled them.

I have checked it and the group suggestion is working. Please type “M” in the group suggestion box and wait for 1-3 seconds(the site has a lot of plugins and that’s why it takes time).

About the icons:- The theme is using pseudo element for assigning icons. In this case, you will need to know the code for which icon you want to assign and either I or the theme developers can help you with the css selector where these icons should be applied to.

For example, Please go ahead and create some tabs and let me know, I will share what css needs to be used(It is one line for each tab).

Thank you
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] How to synchronize Woocommerce Membership Levels with Buddypress Groups’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved