BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] BuddyPress Multi Network – troubleshooting set up

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    hangojango on #28567

Hello,

I’ve just installed BuddyPress Multi Network (after downloading the latest version from your site, not the older version from WP repository) and am after some guidance.

I followed (I think) the instructions here: https://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-multi-network/
    and here: https://buddydev.com/docs/buddypress-guides/what-is-bp-custom-php/

But things aren’t working out so I’ll try to outline my steps to see where the issue is.

I have a multisite running Astra Pro theme. WordPress version is 5.3.2 (soon to update to 5.4) and PHP version is 7.3. There is a primary site running a membership plugin (Paid Memberships Pro) and 2 subsites, both of which have subdomains. (In future, I might like to map the domains.)

On one of these subsites I am running the BuddyBoss plugin, which is a fork of BuddyPress and bbPress. That plugin is not network-activated and neither is activated on the primary site. However, I could see users from across the network within the members list on this subsite. BuddyBoss support told me that I needed your plugin to address this.

So here are the steps I took:
    1. I deactivated the BuddyBoss plugin on the subsite. (It is not network active.)
    2. Downloaded your plugin.
    3. Created .txt file called custom-bp.php and added this code:

<?php
    define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true ); 

4. Put that file in a new directory called custom-bp.
    5. Used SFTP to copy that directory into wp-content/plugins.
    6. Looked in Network plugin list in Dashboard to see the new plugin to activate it but couldn’t see it.
    7. Then I tried a different approach. I added a Code Snippet with the same code.
    8. Then I activated BuddyPress Multi Network at network level.
    9. Then I re-activated the BuddyBoss plugin on the subsite.
    10. I went to Settings > BuddyPress > settings and pressed ‘save’.
    11. I looked at my members page and was told “Sorry, no members were found”.
    12. I looked in Users list in the Dashboard and could see everyone there. I deleted one of them and then added them back in, to see if that was what was required, but still nothing showed up on the Members page.
    13. Then I tried logging in as one of the users anyway, and it worked. They got in and could see the following as usual: Posts, Forums, Pages, Profile, Messages… but not News Feed or Members. (“Sorry, no activity found” and “Sorry, no members were found.”)
    14. Then I tried adding a post to the News Feed but got another error message: “There was a problem posting your update. Please try again.” Same problem when trying to add an entry in the Timeline in Profile.
    15. I deactivated your plugin at network level and then tried to post on the Timeline and view all members. Everything worked as before.

Hope that all made sense and that you have some advice….
    Thanks in advance.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #28568

Hi,
    Thank you for using the plugin.

Is your goal to prevent non members(who have not been added to the site) from logging to the site and posting to the feed?

The Multi Network plugin will help with limiting the listing of activities/members from current site(and not the network which is default).
    It odes not prevent network users from logging to a site though. If you want this, I can help with this.

To configure the plugin properly.

1. Please crate a file name ‘bp-custom.php’ and put this content

<?php
    define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true ); 

2. Please put the ‘bp-custom.php’ file in your ‘wp-content/plugins directory
    3. Deactivate the BUddyBoss plugin
    4. Reactivate the BuddyBoss plugin
    5. Save their settings page

This is what makes it work with BuddyPress. I haven’t tried it with BuddyBoss though.

The above process forces BuddyPress to re-create tables with site specific prefixes. You were facing problem posting as tables were not created.

Please give it a try and let me know if it allows you posting or not?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    hangojango on #28569
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #28574
  • Participant
    hangojango on #28579
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #28597
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #28605

Hi,
    Thank you.

I have checked the site and the activity/profile/groups/messages etc are now localized to the site.

The problem was BuddyBoss has changed the way tables are created. So, I had to deactivate Activity component and reactivate it to force it call create table routine.

Things to Note:-
    1. Any existing member of the sub site will not be listed in the member directory. We track a user as member of the site once you activate the multi network plugin. So, In order to be visible, you need to re-add them.
    For new users whom you will add, they will appear.

A user appears in the members directory if they are tracked as member of the sub site and have logged in to the site atleast once.

2. In order to restrict non members from visiting the site, do you want me to redirect them somewhere? Or can they access the site?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    hangojango on #28608

Hi Brajesh,
    You are a champion! Thank you.
    Does that mean I need to deactivate and reactivate Activity component on future subsites when activating BuddyBoss?
    I have now re-added all members and can see them in the Members page.
    As for your second point:
    “2. In order to restrict non members from visiting the site, do you want me to redirect them somewhere? Or can they access the site?”
    Yes please. Definitely.
    (I saw that after I deleted all the current members, I could still log in as a non-current member, and after that, the user was automatically added to Dashboard > Users as a member again, which means anyone else could be added the same way.)
    Let me know how it goes – and thanks again.

• Participant
    hangojango on #28609
  • Participant
    hangojango on #28634

Hi there,

Do I need to close this topic to start a new one about restricting non-members from accessing the site? (As per above?)

Cheers.

The topic ‘ [Resolved] BuddyPress Multi Network – troubleshooting set up’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved