• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #28671
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    hangojango on #28672

Your question:

“1. Do we allow logged out users to access the sub site(do not apply restrictions) and only apply restrictions if a user is logged in and not member of the current site?”

I’m not quite sure how I should answer that….

All users (whether logged out or logged in on a different site on the network, such as on the primary site or other subsite) should be restricted from a specific subsite unless they are members of that subsite.

• Participant
    hangojango on #28673

Ok, I will check to see if WP Engine recently applied a WordPress core update. I may need to roll to a back up if there is a problem.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #28674

Hi,
    Thank you.

Please allow me to rephrase the question:-

1. If a visitor comes to the sub site, should they be restricted or not?(By visitor, I am referencing to anyone on the internet who is not in logged in state).

PS:- Please do let me know what happened with the site?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    hangojango on #28675

Yes, a visitor should not be able to log into the site. Only members of that site should be able to log in (nobody else from the network, unless super-admin of course.)

As for being able to see the site, there are BuddyBoss privacy settings that supposedly decide whether or not the site will be viewable to visitors or not. (Viewing is a different issue to logging in.) In theory, I can set the site to be private and then create page exceptions. In practice, when I set the site to private, visitors can only see the /wp-admin login page.

Is there a way I can attach a screenshot for you?

As for the other issues on my site that occurred rather suddenly: I’ve been chatting with WP Engine (host) and we can only conclude that the page builder (Elementor) was refreshing its style sheets … maybe … with a lag in caching.

• Participant
    hangojango on #28676

by the way, as a visitor, I still can’t see the login page (/wp-admin). It puts me to the redirected page. Maybe we misunderstood each other…. The redirection was for if they failed to log in. But actually, it might just be simpler if we remove the redirection all together.

The request is only to stop visitors and members of other network sites (except super-admins) from being able to log into the site unless they are members of that specific site.

• Participant
    hangojango on #28677
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Participant
    hangojango on #28678

Hi Brajesh,

I appreciate you’ve probably logged off for a few hours but I wanted to let you know that there have been too many strange things going on with my multi-site today. The main issue is that some of the images aren’t coming back. We aren’t 100% sure it’s because of Elementor. It might also be a conflict with your new code, I don’t know. The only way to get the images back (aside from re-uploading and configuring them) is to roll to a back-up version. This will likely remove your code also, which I don’t mind because as noted above, it would be better if we did not put a redirection in place.

I would still like to make sure that (a) only members of the subsite can be seen on the subsite, meaning that the tables are separate for all subsites, and (b) network members cannot log into subsites that they are not members of.

Please let me know when you are back online. I will of course take a copy of the site before rolling back.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #28680

Hi,
    Thank you for the patience.

I do not think It can be caused by my code as I have only added 1 action on ‘bp_template_redirect’ to redirect.

Please feel free to restore and check. Please let me know once you have restored it.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    hangojango on #28705

Hi again,

We have identified the conflict, which was a new caching and database-cleaning plugin called WP-Optimizer. It is now removed. The site has rolled back to a previous version. Your code to redirect visitors to primary site page is also removed and I actually prefer it that way. On the plus, it looks like the separate member tables is still in place. i.e. Members of the Hoodies subsite cannot see members from other sites on the multisite.

So just to clarify, my request is to not allow non-members to log in to sites. Only members can log into sites. (I know random visitors can’t log in because they are not on the network at all and do not have a password etc. But at the moment, anyone who is already a user of any site on the multisite network can log into any other subsite on the network, even if they are not members of that subsite.) Does that make sense?

Although you said the member tables are now separate between subsites, it seems that this hasn’t stopped members from being able to log into sites where they are not members, and this is a problem.

The topic ‘ [Resolved] BuddyPress Multi Network – troubleshooting set up’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved